PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5-8k is more than an average paint job. For the two cars ive done including door jams and boot but not engine bay it cost me $3,200 and $2,700. Both were without any hookups and turned out as good as a factory job.

how long until you would see an issue? and what would it look like do you think?

Within the day I'd say. The guy that primed my Corolla before I had it said it bubbled up due to reaction then sprayed 2k primer on it after sanding all old primer off and it was sweet as.

I've sprayed 2k primer over lots of shit, only have ever used 2k primer. Nothing has bunged out yet.

Now I know if I was to be painting a whole car I need a huge mung of a compressor etc.

But what If I just want to spray primer here and there on small to medium sized sections and at most I would be spraying the engine bay in one go? i.e. so I can get it primed where its needed and do the prep etc. and than take the car somewhere else when I want to do colour and do the colour all in one go?

Don't use hvlp guns and you're sweet as they use twice as much air (I think? someone will know/google)

I've always had constant pressure when doing a whole coats with my little compressor. You don't need to run huge pressure to paint eh. It is constantly running though.

I can use my die grinder full blast for ages which I'd say uses a lot more. Pretty hard on it though as its allways going.

• 2 months later...

Cars Gunna get painted in the next couple of months.

A Mates almost finished modifying his 32 Footer, its all primed up and almost ready for paint time..

Im gunna paint it the same color typically some sort of white boat paint.

Ill be rubbing my car down before it gets painted.

Im guessing i would want to primer it in the same primer as he is using?

Other things to look out for?

• 2 weeks later...
I'd assume most 2k primers will work but best to use whatever he has incase of chemical reaction. Why are you using boat paint?

We painted a boat a few years ago but I can't remember what the process was, regarding primer etc.

yea i sussed it with him.

Its just a 2pack primer.

And im using boat paint cause 1 its free and two it puts up with the crazy environment of boating itl do my car just fine

• 3 months later...

OK

I am going to paint the trumpy over the next week.

I have a mates shed to use as he has a huge compressor, sander with vaccum, painting gear etc.

What i need to figure out is what paint to buy.

He told me that a 2 Pack paint is harder to stop it from running.

And that i would be best to use a Base coat and a clear coat ontop?

Is this true?

Edit:

Man it was a while ago when i was going to do it.

Anyway this time it serious.