PAINT THREAD

dylan

2k paints will run easier from my experience as they stay wet for ages. do your runs across the panels a bit faster and don't worry about orange peel so much if it's your first time painting, it's alot easier to cut and polish out than runs.

You really need to concentrate on your clear coat when it comes to speed and overlap. It can turn to shit real fast. Just take your time and don't get all excited :wink:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't matter what primer. I'd make sure it's all one colour though to be safe.

Base coat

Clear + hardener

Thinners

Wax and grease remover (and clean rags)

Polishing compound?

Burnout leaving the shop.

Where you buying from?

Ahhh ok

So get primer in the same color or mix some base coat with the primer?

How much of each would i approx need?

Why should i need polishing compound?

Im going to go see the guys at altex paints as we do a quite a bit of work for them.

So hopefully they should be able to hook me up.

Im only going to do the outside of the car, no door jams, engine bay etc.

Shouldn't matter what primer. I'd make sure it's all one colour though to be safe.

Ahhh ok

So get primer in the same color or mix some base coat with the primer?

I'm pretty sure he means just use 1 color primer all over, like don't have say white primer on some panels and dark grey on others.

After same advice.

As I understand I do something similar to this:

Remove rust/dents.

220ish sand to dull paint.

Etch primer X amount of coats.

High fill primer X amount of coats.

500ish block sand.

Guide coat with tinted primer.

Block sand again to find low spots.

Fix lowspots with skimbog or something?

Make primer sweet.

2 or 3 coats of 2k paint.

More of clear.

How wrong am I lol

What products do you prefer for each stage tom?

And what is the sweet underseal stuff you use, is it brush on?

After same advice.

As I understand I do something similar to this:

Remove rust/dents.

220ish sand to dull paint.

Etch primer X amount of coats.

High fill primer X amount of coats.

500ish block sand.

Guide coat with tinted primer.

Block sand again to find low spots.

Fix lowspots with skimbog or something?

Make primer sweet.

2 or 3 coats of 2k paint.

More of clear.

How wrong am I lol

What products do you prefer for each stage tom?

And what is the sweet underseal stuff you use, is it brush on?

Depends on the car to start with. I assume you're talking about the new ke20? :D

Since it's covered in primer it makes life a little more difficult, as dents are harder to find just by looking at the panels.

Remove obvious dents/rust (use a hammer and dolly as much as you can, I seriously recommend buying a set if you plan to do more work)

Block sand the car with 100g which may show up more dents, fix whatever you find.

Prime with filler primer (or etch if you have large areas of bare metal)

Block sand with 180g which will show up more dents, fix these then re-filler prime. (you can lay down a guide coat here if you like, I'd use black paint rather than tinted primer)

block sand with 320g if you're confident it's fairly straight, this may show up more smaller dents, fix and repeat this step untill you're satisfied with it.

Final prime then block sand main panels with 400g (don't go near the edges as you'll wear it to paint quick = primer again) then hand sand the rest.

Paint. I usually do 2 coats on the door jams and 3-4 on the car. Then 3-4 coats of clear

Products.

I usually use K&H bog

Used lots of primers and found them all to be pretty much the same

Green masking tape or that yellow stuff. White masking tape is complete shit and will tear and make a mess when you try to pull it off. Get wide tape for door jams

I prefer base coat with 2k clear as mentioned above, as for brands I've used all sorts, debeer, ppg, cobra and so on, all seem sweet.

Misc stuff I've learnt/done.

I always rough up with 80g before bog to make sure it stays there

Never use plastic bags to wrap engine looms etc up with as it flakes off when hit by anything/compressed air during your final clear coat :(

If you cut rust out use deoxidine (sp?) or por15 metal ready in behind your patch on sills etc

Take your time and try not to rush shit, it never pays off (should have spent another 5-10 hours on the Gem I just done tbh)

Clean your space before painting and run compressed air everywhere including door handles and especially masking as dust can get trapped and suddenly come out when you brush past it with your gun.

Wax and grease remove before painting

If using a pearl do the car with all the panels on it at once. as you may get an uneven coat if not mixed with the base coat

Had more to add but slipped my mind

That was probably more than you wanted to know/got a bit carried away. But that's how I've learnt to do it over the last 5 years

For a car your size 3.5l would do your whole car incl engine bay and jams

I'd use most of a 4l tin of primer

3l clear (shop will give you enough hardener for mixing)

thinner to suit mixing ratios + plenty to clean up gun. (i buy massive containers of it)

I buy 4l bog tins but will last me a few cars. depends on how straight it is i guess, start with a 1l tin

Just went to Link Up paint Supplies a couple of doors down from us to price some paint.

I said i wanted A base Coat, Clear, hardener, Thinners etc.

And its going to be like $600

But just doing it in a 2Pack is going to be around $240 Incl Gst

Is the Saving worth it?