PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my car in 2pack and it came up pretty well. Paint is now a couple of years old... But car has still not seen weather yet :lol:

When my last trump was painted it was sone in 2 Pack but it was dun at a paint shop, i might get them to do it again.

Was cheap as fuck. Gunna go see them Tuesday.

Dropped my car to my mates this morning.

He got onto the bogging, and started to block the rear of the car down which was good but he didn't get much done bogging wise.

So when i got there i got him back on track and told him to not worry about what others are telling him as most of the body is pretty straight. And we will block it before it gets sprayed.

Any how i got onto the Sanding with the FESTOOL sander which if anyone has used one they are awesome.

Took off the last of the stainless Trim and got the front quater panels sanded down ready to block out a bit but they are pretty straight, sanded the bonet down, roof and 2 doors.

Just gota do all the tight places i carn't get with the sander.

Shes pretty multi coloured but it was good progress.

With any Scratches or places where paint had been chipped down to the steel i jjust sanded down the paint till it was a good sized cirlce and sanded the paint around it flat.

Should come up sweet.

Hopefully will get the Driver doors and front end done tomorrow arvo ready for primer.

• 2 weeks later...

Im going to practist doing some painting on my ute.

The undercoat i was going to use was in a spraycan.

Is the sandable primer from plasti-kote any good to use?

also whats the procedure on how to paint racing stripes on over top over the top coat?

like this in this pic..

80735966_full.jpg

Im going to practist doing some painting on my ute.

The undercoat i was going to use was in a spraycan.

Is the sandable primer from plasti-kote any good to use?

also whats the procedure on how to paint racing stripes on over top over the top coat?

like this in this pic..

80735966_full.jpg

I have found plasti-kote pretty crappy, would be better off finding someone with a compressor and gun and getting some decent primer on it.

• 1 month later...

have just fioonished reading through 22 pages of this paint thread, and dam wata read.

am in the stages of sanding down my car, and after that whole read i think its easier to go OS 1k primer on this. :badgrin:

me and a mate have already done 2 newer cars in spray can primer....fun fun.

Have a mate that has a compressor we can use, but we tried this before, and surprisingly our spray can job came out better than the compressor, friend ended up with zebra looking lines in his bonnet :lol:

I am not doing a bare metal strip, just the exterior for now as i have a few bubbles on the doors and the colour isnt what i want.

Best to lay down about 3 layers of primer? and where would i go to get a custom paint made up? any paint shop/bunnings?

looking for a white with a black pearl/sparkle in it, still deciding. but atm its just getting the shine sanded off it and getting primered. So should i use the friends compressor for the primer, or stick with our spray can job? Also looking for the brush on underseal stuff, once i have the underside of my car checked/rust cut out and welded, i want to put that all on the underside to stop it for good, any ideas where to get this from? Again would going to bunnings/supercheap/repco have them?

Cheers,

Mad thread, fully good info.

• 6 months later...

just painted 260c up in metallic lacquer, not sure on how long i should leave it to harden before putting rear window and tail lights and so on back in? Drying time is 60mins on the data sheet but obviously will take a while to get decent hard.

i think its easier to go OS 1k primer on this.

personally i wouldn't

2 part primers are harder, and much nicer/easier to flat back before top coats

there not harder to apply either, most primers are 4-1 primer-hardener and have a few hours of pot life (time to get it mixed and applied) so its just as simple as a single pack kit

^ i was told not to touch paint with buffer etc until a month. Like the dude made a big deal about not cut and polishing for at least 30 days.

you will find most paint shop cut and buff the fresh paint a few hours after it leaves the booth

like torton said just be careful, the softer paint heats up quicker/makes you cry

i think its easier to go OS 1k primer on this.

personally i wouldn't

2 part primers are harder, and much nicer/easier to flat back before top coats

there not harder to apply either, most primers are 4-1 primer-hardener and have a few hours of pot life (time to get it mixed and applied) so its just as simple as a single pack kit

does 2 pack kill you unless you have a full on darth vader face setup - or are those 3m mask things with the two filters all you need?