PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol polish wont help. it would be liek trying to polish 240grit sandpaper

Do what KK said then if it evens it out whack some clear over it. Just want to find out what the guy used to paint it with originally. I think youll find that when rubbing that roof down you will go through to the old colour. The rest of the car will prob rub down and clear ok by the looks tho.

Gaz

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Holy crap so much to read!

So a few questions, sorry if they have been answered

I'm looking a resraying my ke70 corolla

I started giving it a sherrife cop car paint job like 7 years ago, stopped, and no I totally hate the idea so so much

So the shell is painted in the same paint I am going to use, which is the resense 2k

the bolt on panels etc have been in primer since then

Clearly i need to sand the body back down and Re prime, but what about my goards etc that are still in primer? Just sand them down and paint from there??

Also, i was looking at painting the bolt on parts, doors, gaurds etc, seperate to the rest of the car, I know this isnt the best option, but how likely am I going to run into miss match colour bewteen them and the shell?

All paint will be from the same batch.

Also need to buy a gun for the top coat, was going to buy a gravity feed, any recommendations? was thinking about 200-300 dolloras on a gun.

Colour is going to be factory ke70 corolla cream / white.

Cheers guys, any suggestions would be great.

Also, I aplan on using some pratices gaurds etc to set up my gun, tho to be honest i have no idea what I will be doing haha

oki doki

with straight 2k colour providing you mix each batch precisely and lay enough paint to fully cover the panel then you wont get any colour variance painting panels seperatly (unless its along time between painting days).

if your car has been outside or damp alot since you primed the guards then id sand most of it off and slap one more coat on just to help stop any moisture blisters later on

as for gun look for a second hand sata or devilbiss even a well used one sprays better than a random Chinese brand, infact i could probably prise one from a painter at work, i use my gti pro for base clear and 2k and have 2 aircaps for extra wank factor between 1k and 2k paints but its not necessary

be warned, warm is good for painting but can also increase your change of runs as the paint thins when it heats up, so be sure to practice in the same conditions you will be painting and id advise getting shit set up/masked the night before and getting and early start when its cooler for painting and gets hot later one for budget bake cycle

cool shed=more time to get around the car

hot shed=dry spray around the start/finish points

ps dont be affraid to leave plenty of time between coats, it helps get a flatter finish
What do you call plenty of time? And yeah totally keen on a reasonable gun. thanks for the info dude, car has been in dry storage for the whole time

I judge the time between coats by touching a bit of paint on some of the masking, if it comes off stringy on your finger- too soon. If its just tacky- time for sailing.

I think I got all of my paint for about $250, I imagine that would go skyward pretty quick if you started adding metal flake and pearls and shit, but the solid colours are about $100/ L, and the clear is cheaper than that.

Are you painting a mini?

How much paint did you use?