PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

clear coat kit will cost you $300 but will do 2 cars and you will need 2L base coat for repaint on a ke and add some more if you want to do door shuts

so say $600 but with left over clear for your next project

2k would cost you $300ish for midrange paint so slightly cheaper but its not as sun proof, depends how much you love your car

I'd just slam some cheap 2k over it seeing as its just a white. Should last alright with $200- $250 paint

Also a nice gun is nice but the difference between a job done with a great gun and an average cheapy will be pretty hard to notice if the whole things not done in a booth.

I spent about 100 hours on the prep for my car, I got pretty sick of it by the end, and TBH it's still got quite a few imperfections.

I used Spies Hecker paint, and made 1.5L of colour and about 1~ L of clear, the car is small and it was a doors closed job. I did it at the panel beaters so if I was short I could just go and make some more , which possibly isn't an option for you. After working it Basecoat Clearcoat and talking to a few people, I think it is the best option for a first time painter.

The good thing I found with the basecoat clearcoat is that you can fix runs super easy. I have no experience with 2k colour, so everything i'm saying about it has come from the panel beater, all I know is that I am stoked with how my car came out.

yeah your car looks fucken mint!

And yeah,. Clear is alot mor forgiving when it comes to runs as you can lay it on super thick.

2k hould be alright,only thing I have found with the resense stuff in the past is that you need to leave it for a little while t harden up if you want to polish it, so. would prefer not to polish it, I guess will see how it comes out of the gun / you mum

metalux WHAT i used 5 litres covering an scargo never again will i use lux basecoat which was about 6 coats, 3 times more than it would have been in PPG cobra. 2k lux is alright though

as for laying clear on 'super thick' don't, lay it on wet and leave it as that, super thick will dry super peely

as for the gun not having much effect on paint i also call lies on this, i did my first paint chobs with a machine works gun then switched to a gti pro and was dropped with the difference it made, then i used to a sata and was super impressed all over again

slow and fast hardener has almost no effect on the peel but slower hardener will give a better gloss as the hardener doesnt take efect for hours after the paint has been applyed

reducer speed will have a small effect on peel but not much, id go medium for a garage job on a full repaint so you have plenty of time to get round the car

the biggest thing to effect the finish is how heavy you lay your paint on, gun set up and time between coats

peel takes longer to polish out than runs but often looks better after

hi all just wont to know can you spray etch primer over old but sanderd paint as well as bear steel and can it be use as a normal primer aswell or do i need to prime over the etch

and what do you all think about using stop putty

thanks