PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most epoxy primers say they will coat over enamel on the data sheets, but they allways say to test before encase of frying etc. If you want to keep the car for a long time and the old paint job is that shit I would delete it

ok and so bar stripping it the only other way is to sand the fuck out of it huh?

this^, new paint will only stick aswell as whats under it. But if you decide not to remove it all you can do your repair work as normal then before paint use a product like PPG DP4000 as a wet on wet primer sealer, and if you run out of time it can be painted over upto 5 days later without having to sand it back

be careful with dp4000 az it doznt sick to bare matel,dp40 doz and its cheaper. put any 2k sealer or primer over enamel is a no no az 2k sealers and pimers dry hard az rocks, enamel drys alot softer than 2k. so it may crazy crack over time. think ppg change the times to 2 to 3 days now before having to sand before painting!

Yea if Bubblegoose says its legit I would roll it. I flattened out some cheap 2k for my engine bits and pieces and it came out awesome, but yea for the outside of a car i would use a ready made product all day if it was available

Don't think you can ship this to NZ (someone may bring it in) but TCP has a range of pre flattened 2K urethane paint which is awesome. Got some coming over for a mates project, be ages before its done but I'll chuck up results http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx I would be super keen to have a go with the flat pearls or metallics but it wont really suit the project.

flattening base to a 1k top coat or base coat? matting base is sometimes used in base coats to help get even coverage but base is matt/satin by on its own

adding matting agent to a 2k top coat will do look and last just the same as a premade matt paint but will be more transparrent and take more coats to cover

ie 2 coats of mipa flat black covers the same as 3/4 coats of a heavily matted 2k gloss

so fiberglass.... whats best to lay on that before paint, the story is my roof had a few dings along one side so ive put fiberglass on, i will work that back then get the height correct with a slight skim of bog, any paint layers needed between the fiberglass and the bog? do they react with moisture etc...

anyone no this? bog straight on or paint between fiberglass and bog? cheers

this one will be for the clued up ones on painting.i got given a tin of international paints "interthane 990",ex army spec green.what i cant find is what type of paint it is.its very old so could be enamel,but i have no idea.any of you knowledgeable gentlemen able to help me out??

I used to sell a lot of international its a good quality marine paint... interthane is a 2k polyurethane so a good gloss topcoat. Can be quite expensive so a good score.... do you have the hardener as well?

heres data sheet on it

http://www.internati...84 P eng A4.pdf

chur

unfortunately i dont,any ideas where i might be able to get it??and cheers for the help,good to know its not old enamel or some shit,lol