PAINT THREAD

dylan

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just done a few rattle can touch ups to one of my cars, paint was PPG dulon, using orignal toyota colour, just wondering about the overspray that has settled, its a bit rough to the touch, how soon after painting can I wet sand it (assume thats the best to use) and what grit - 1500?

In this thread, guys were saying you can get away without clear coating it - appreciate it will give a better result but I hadn't planned to clear coat it as the rest of the car is average too.

I was going to cut and polish the car, to deal with some of the oxidised clear coat it has on other panels, should I avoid buffing the freshly painted areas?

Just done a few rattle can touch ups to one of my cars, paint was PPG dulon, using orignal toyota colour, just wondering about the overspray that has settled, its a bit rough to the touch, how soon after painting can I wet sand it (assume thats the best to use) and what grit - 1500?

In this thread, guys were saying you can get away without clear coating it - appreciate it will give a better result but I hadn't planned to clear coat it as the rest of the car is average too.

I was going to cut and polish the car, to deal with some of the oxidised clear coat it has on other panels, should I avoid buffing the freshly painted areas?

dulon is a 1k top coat and requires no clear-coat, you can wet sand the next day i would suggest a light 2000 then 3000 especially if polishing by hand (and also 1k paints are very thin)

Chur, yeah I managed to come to that conclusion re single stage with a bit of effort on google. I gave it a little wash tonight and even a bit of action with a soft bristled brush was enough to take the texture off it - barely noticeable vs the roughness of the original paint. Might just buff the non touched areas to tidy up some of the oxidation that appears to be on the top layer/clear (if it was ever clear coated)

Decided to paint the engine bay in my corolla, as its looking pretty ugly at the moment (different colour paint/grease and shit.)

Havent done any spraying on cars yet, but this is how im planning to go about it.

Clean the shit out of the bay. Would brakeleen be alright for this to get the grease off?

Sand back paint till its nice and rough. 

Prime.

Sand. 

Paint, sand after its dry?

Anything else ive missed?

yeah the cheap guns are ok for engine bays and 2k paints. If the surface of the engine bay is in pretty good condition you can just clean ALL the oil/grease out with a water blaster and degreaser, then rub it down with fine/grey scotch brite pad and some prepsol, then prepsol and rags, then more presol and rags till a white rag comes off clean. hit it with a coat of 1K EPOXY (can be over as soon as its flashed off without sanding in-between) primer then 2 coats of your colour (and clear if needed) and call it a day.

only reason you would need to 2k primer would be if you were going for a show finish or done any welding/bogging in there

Just tidying up the engine bay because the PO had spilt brake fluid and not cleaned it up. Same colour, the rest of it is in pretty good nick so I don't think there is any plan to paint that.

To give you an Idea I made 200ml yesterday but I am thinking of making another 200ml.