PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is fuck all paint, Buick used like 5.5L of base and we didn't do the roof. Heavily depends on the coverage of the base & the system (and primer colour), some colours need 6 coats some need 2.

I'd just get 1L because paint is cheap for me, can't imagine is is cost effective buying in Taupo, well wasn't when I was there.

That was before I thinned it, but yea not a lot, I was comparing like with like though, the 400ml is unthinned so it would be ~600ml or so once thinned.  I guess the Alfa is about a 1/4 of the size of the Buick hahaha

I will report back on fail/success, if it is a fail I will blame it on Tom's shoddy prep work.

Grabbed some paint today for some patches. 250ml, but they couldn't sell me a matching sized thinners. It's a Spies Hecker dealio and says the reducer is Permacron Basecoat Reducer 3054, 3055, 3056, 3057. I've read about using the right thinners etc. But how crucial will it be in my case with this product? If they would sell me a small amount i'd already have it. And if it's a must, then I guess i'll just have to buy a bigger amount. Preference is to good job over cheap, but also keeping in mind bang for buck. I'm just getting some rust removed / patched up. Will it fall off, or will it just not give 100% bang on finish. One of those I can live with.

oh so its you im following into joshs shed, jeez oldschool is keeping him busy! 

on the topic of supercheap spray kits a few pages back, ive got one and have painted a couple of bikes that came out insanely glossy just off the gun (using expensive paint) and have painted a starlet using crazy cheap paint (under 300 bucks for the entire job) and its come out a bit orange peeled and thin, but with a bit of labour, is colour sanding and buffing up to a real nice gloss. 

i think the orange peel and thinnes is down to it being the first car ive painted, doing it in winter, and having no real idea what im doing! but for the money involved id say they are good enough value for playing around with. 

The only issue I have with cheap guns is that they come full of grease and the needles are made out of cheap shitty metal which wears quickly with use giving an inconsistant job, but if you are happy to live with that then they are fine, all my spraying is done with my cheap gun.

Also orange peel is usually due to not spraying enough paint for the air you are using, either turn down your air screw or adjust the needle stop if you have wound it in. Hope that helps.