PAINT THREAD

dylan

Also orange peel is usually due to not spraying enough paint for the air you are using, either turn down your air screw or adjust the needle stop if you have wound it in. Hope that helps.

thats dry peel (looks like inverted sand paper), the other orange peel (looks like a golf ball) is from under thinned paint or not allowing adequate flash off time between coats and also too many coats

most needles (HVLP guns) need to be wound out 2.5 to 2.75 turns, air screw set to max but pressure regulated to what ever it says on the paints tech data sheet (normally 30 to 60psi)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was spraying at 100psi so that's not a good start haha

I sure do have a lot more appreciation for car painters after giving it a go my self, the whole time your just thinking 'one mistake could ruin the whole thing'

ive finished buffing it this weekend and it came out pretty nice for my first car and at a cost of $400, will post some pics for those interested in what have be achieved by relatively inexperienced people with cheap gear. ive helped a friend paint a couple cars so picked up a lot of the basics, but that's all.

Matching your factory paint Beaver? could use some cheap acrylic lacquer, or a single stage 2 pac paint. 2 pac is newer paint tech and is much harder, will be pretty glossy/bling compared to your stocker paint, may be able to flatten it out abit though. 

^^ depends on the finish you want, i used that poverty spec generic under body sealer which comes in a yellow tin, it applies and adheres well with a short stiff bristled brush, and is durable but does not give a flashy show finish if that's what you are after. (kind of has a tar-like look to it)

I am having issues with 2 pot acrathane (resene) I have been buying satin black but when applied it seems to be drying to more of a super gloss. I have fiddled with thinning percentage, and air pressures etc.. with only minor improvements to reduction in gloss level.

It's not of a major concern as it's only for suspension bits and brackets etc but still keen to try and understand what i am doing wrong??

I am having issues with 2 pot acrathane (resene) I have been buying satin black but when applied it seems to be drying to more of a super gloss. I have fiddled with thinning percentage, and air pressures etc.. with only minor improvements to reduction in gloss level.

It's not of a major concern as it's only for suspension bits and brackets etc but still keen to try and understand what i am doing wrong??

sometimes matt and satin paints require baking to bring out the desired finish, im not sure how big of an area you are painting but if its small enough you could sit a double hallogen work lamp about 1m away from the panel for half an hour (about 5 mins after painting)

just for the underside of the morry.....so doesnt need to be flash.....do you need to put some rust treatment shit down or does the underseal have that built in?/i dont know what im talking about.....

prep the under side with a coarse scotch pad and some phosphoric acid (rust remover) follow destructions on the bottle

^^ depends on the finish you want, i used that poverty spec generic under body sealer which comes in a yellow tin, it applies and adheres well with a short stiff bristled brush, and is durable but does not give a flashy show finish if that's what you are after. (kind of has a tar-like look to it)

Satins need a fucking good shake up as the matting agent settles out pretty quick.

ON THAT NOTE, Anyone wanna share a reason why I shouldn't use 2k satin black epoxy primer as a top coat?

Satins need a fucking good shake up as the matting agent settles out pretty quick.

ON THAT NOTE, Anyone wanna share a reason why I shouldn't use 2k satin black epoxy primer as a top coat?

i thought primers wernt waterproof, are porus or something, and would lead to rusting if not topcoat is applied???

You need to read more of this long and contradicting thread haha.

Epoxy primer is fine in water, people paint panels in it and leave them outside for ages. Its oldschool single stage primers and 'etch' primers that fuck out if you leave them sitting around.