For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

Just now, CUL8R said:

@ Clint, lap belts from a proper 5 point harness in a factory lap belt car - legal or no go?

Lever latch style like this;

Nascar 5 Point Harness

Unfortunately not, can only be used on a scratchbuilt vehicle with 1 row of seats or it requires motorsport authority card.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, KKtrips said:

Unfortunately not, can only be used on a scratchbuilt vehicle with 1 row of seats or it requires motorsport authority card.

Re above. Can you used "expired" speedway belts? In a standard stock you can't run belts over a year or two old. Dad's got a couple that are brand new, still in the packaging. Yay-nay? 

11 hours ago, CUL8R said:

@ Clint, lap belts from a proper 5 point harness in a factory lap belt car - legal or no go?

Lever latch style like this;

Nascar 5 Point Harness

Are you talking about just using the lap part only? Not the shoulder belts/ball squasher?

That wouldn't be legal either as a belt has to be used as a set. I had a quick look for lever latch style belts if that's the look you are after but couldnt find any with a standard marking 

Your other potential problem is there is a rule to do with lap belts in the front of cars, post 55 should be lap and diagonal, apart from the vehicles that meet the requirements for not having to have an upper anchorage .

One of those exemptions is, in some cases, a car can retain it's original lap belts if they are in good condition, but as soon as you fit a replacement belt then it has to be lap and diagonal. Have had that come up a few times where someone with a mustang or camaro thinks they are doing the right thing by fitting nice new lap belts but that tips it into needing upper anchorages fitting and cert 

9 hours ago, cletus said:

Vehicles that meet the requirements for not having to have an upper anchorage .

That is applicable to production vehicles, correct? I've been told by LVVTA that I MUST fabricate an upper anchorage for my belts. Yet I was told (some time ago) by a former LVVTA certifier that lap belts would suffice. As I'm not going 4 seater anymore I was going to run harnesses as they are cheaper than Web grab lap and diagonal belts. I'm wanting to know whether (if you use harnesses) they need to be "in date". For stockcars they expire, I can get some brand new expired belts. Also trying to find someone who can offer some guidance around the mounting of harnesses if I can use them

Theres nothing in the lvvta rules that mentions the date on a harness 

Scratch built vehicle 100% must have upper anchorages  

There are other requirements when you use harness belts which may affect your decision to use them, if it's just a cost thing 

CCM is available free to download now , that and the frontal impact standard on lvvta.org.nz should have all the info you need  

9 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Unless it's a convertable?

Say a 60's yank tank 'vert? If you put new lap belts in that they'd be okay?

If they meet the requirements for not having upper anchorages , yes  

7 minutes ago, cletus said:

CCM is available free to download now , that and the frontal impact standard on lvvta.org.nz should have all the info you need  

I'm one of the bone heads that paid for it 8 years ago. I emailed regarding any changes (the copy is registered to my Mother) and got no reply. I don't recall ever seeing anything in my HCM regarding frontal impact compliance, but then again I don't have a very good comprehension of technical jargon. 

In saying that if I built basically a scaled down version of a half cage to the standards I have should suffice? 

Unfortunately once you have been stickered for exhaust noise, you need an exhaust noise cert regardless of if you put a standard exhaust back on  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
8 hours ago, Hemi said:

Hey @cletus / @KKtrips
is this something that can be certed? for some reason i thodught onotching has to be welded, or it the other way around? 

Hide contents

dropped c10

Most of the time that sort of thing has to be welded. You might be able to get an exemption from lvvta if you followed the right process but it might be more hassle than its worth. You would probably need to modify parts of it anyway for it to comply so may as well just weld it in  

Like tortron said its probably to do with the skill level of the installer in its home market, like many other things, the fact that something bolts in/on in america is a big selling point  

• Like 2