For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, igor said:

So theoretically I should have got a cert to change my Civic from the factory 12" steel rims to 13" steel rims of a later iteration of the same model that I bought as a parts car?

Wat

no

unless it has a CERT plate attached to the vechile that specifies the modifications / vechile specs for what it was certified.

if no CERT, can do what ever as long as it doesn’t exceed 5% tyre rolling OD from OE

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hypothetical question and possibly covered before so apologies if it has..

Car goes for WOF, fails on needing cert for.. I dunno, lets say coil overs because thats topical.
Does this mean the car MUST get a cert to proceed to WOF status or can the suspension be changed to OEM and all good to go for a re check

36 minutes ago, kseries.rookie said:

Hypothetical question and possibly covered before so apologies if it has..

Car goes for WOF, fails on needing cert for.. I dunno, lets say coil overs because thats topical.
Does this mean the car MUST get a cert to proceed to WOF status or can the suspension be changed to OEM and all good to go for a re check

Correct. 

You are not tied to cert items unless the car has a cert. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cletus said:

Everything. 

Front, back, both sides, interior,  engine bay and any visible mods under the car is the requirements for photos the certifier has to supply with the paperwork 

For fun I scanned a donut on a new build at the BH using an NFC app on my phone. Came up with a link which worked at the time to show all the photos, but the link did stop working a few hours later.

People tend to add another leaf when getting them reset. Inverted is just bad in general. Old mans ute had stock suspension inverted with his box on the back (most likely roll like this with no clue). He had another leaf put in and all sorted.

Funnily, theres nothing in the rules that say they cant be inverted.

but it's not ideal, the spring and shackle start working against each other.

usually if someone wants to go past 'flat' then you get the eyes reversed instead of making the spring go the wrong way  

And as @Bling said add a leaf to make up for the reduced travel 

Yes on the 40mm droop requirements, same rules apply 

Imagine how well it would handle with operating suspension then. Inverted leaf springs to me would be the equivalent of bound coil springs. This theory could be wrong, but I can't see how inverting leaf springs actually offer any form of good suspension. flipside to that, is you often can't go silly low and have working springs, so it is a balancing act between looks and handling nice.

As for the legality, I was quite surprised that inverted leaf springs are not a WOF issue. Work ute had passed previously no worries. Only had the extra spring fit by choice. I bet it handled a lot nicer afterwards though (not my vehicle).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bling said:

Imagine how well it would handle with operating suspension then. Inverted leaf springs to me would be the equivalent of bound coil springs. This theory could be wrong, but I can't see how inverting leaf springs actually offer any form of good suspension. flipside to that, is you often can't go silly low and have working springs, so it is a balancing act between looks and handling nice.

As for the legality, I was quite surprised that inverted leaf springs are not a WOF issue. Work ute had passed previously no worries. Only had the extra spring fit by choice. I bet it handled a lot nicer afterwards though (not my vehicle).

So long as there is clearance to the bump stops and the shackles still have pivot room it should still 'suspend' OK.