si

For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

2 minutes ago, kws said:

What about the high stop light flashers that flash it three times and then on solid? Shit that's annoying in traffic. 

3 hours ago, AllTorque said:

Yes illegal. Lights must remain steadily illuminated.

(except for indicators)

• Like 1

Good. Was wondering if it was a loophole for those ones since they do illuminate steadily but only after a couple of flashes. 

It's very common in late model cars. Even the yaris I rented did it when you stomp the anchors. 

• Like 2

Note 3

A vehicle originally manufactured with a high-mounted stop lamp arrangement that differs from what is required or permitted in this section may retain the original high-mounted stop lamps provided they remain fitted in their original position and perform as intended by the vehicle manufacturer.

• Like 2

Can I make a brake calliper bracket from aluminium? How thick does it need to be? 

Have you talked to a certifier about any of your stuff? Not being a dick, but that is the sort of question they would appreciate being asked, as there isn't a one size fits all answer to many questions. For example, my certifier has mentioned extra threads in areas you can't even get a single one with your brake setup. Another certifier has said it's not required. So probably a good idea to get a certifier onboard, if you want to save redoing stuff later.

I thought I had seen something about it on their forum, but can't see it now.

5 minutes ago, Bling said:

Have you talked to a certifier about any of your stuff? Not being a dick, but that is the sort of question they would appreciate being asked, as there isn't a one size fits all answer to many questions. For example, my certifier has mentioned extra threads in areas you can't even get a single one with your brake setup. So probably a good idea to get a certifier onboard, if you want to save redoing stuff later.

Yeh. I know I really should. I've been putting it off, I don't really have a good reason why. On previous certs(my Starlet has had 3) I've done all the work and only taken it to see the man at the end.

But this project has the added complication of steering geometry from moving the rack and chopping up the rear floor to fit in an also chopped up narrowed subframe.   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bling said:

For example, my certifier has mentioned extra threads in areas you can't even get a single one with your brake setup. Another certifier has said it's not required. 

Do you mean having the bolt threads protruding through the other side of the caliper mounting lugs? In my case(from memory, I could be wrong), the threaded hole is tighter at one end so the bolt will jamb and not protrude. I'm gonna assume it's to stop you from using a too long bolt and running it into the face of the disc and damaging it. 

Yeah mine is a different setup, calipers with holes that bolt into plates. Quite different to narrowing threads. Was just an example that some things are worth checking with certy certy man. 

Land rover rear bench seats....

How much can I modify the lower seat before the wof man gets unhappy? Considering now its just a squab tied to the upright, can I install a slightly larger squab?

IMG_8558.jpg

10 minutes ago, AllTorque said:

Modification of the seat pad does not require cert 

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-interior/seats-and-seat-anchorages

see the bottom of “tables and images”

Cheers! seems I have looked at that page a few times and not seen whats staring right at me.....

• Like 2

new work ute has come with different brand/tread pattern spare tyre (but same size etc)

seems odd, would that not be a wof fail/illegal

16 minutes ago, datlow said:

new work ute has come with different brand/tread pattern spare tyre (but same size etc)

My Ute has balloon 15s all round. Had a low pro 14 as a spare. 

Possibly a case of - it's fine as a spare because it ticks the boxes, but if you out it on the truck and have different ply etc on the same axle then it fails

21 minutes ago, datlow said:

Fairly sure the only WOF check on a spare is that it is securely fastened down, or in a separate compartment to the passengers.

• Like 3

yeah i figure a space saver isnt the same but only temporary

whereas this is a full size spare so seems silly to not be able to rotate it with the other tyres for full barry spec/company man penny pinching

• Like 1

Who rotates tyres these days?

(I probably should on the Morris as those skinny radials are hard to get/expensive)

• Like 1

Most of the 4x4s we deal with have had big mudders fitted and still roll the factory wheel as a spare