si

For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

All my NZ new re-registered stuff has been given a vin (obs never having one in the 40, 50, 60s)

Interesting. Being 1980 and nz new It didn't have a VIN originally as it used the chassis number but I note it had a new VIN number (different to the chassis number) allocated to it when reregistered, so I presume it should have a new plate somewhere too. 

Apparently it's not in the engine bay, boot, or on the B pillar like it should be.

Have contacted nzta to see if they, or the agent (vtnz) might hold a record of where it was affixed when it was reregistered. 

It didn't occur to me at the time to check for the new plate when I did it. 

revinned 2015

On 07/11/2019 at 10:15, JoKer said:

74399493_1587032868106045_6431141848433033216_n.jpg

spot the New VIN tag

centre of firewall next to factory plate (yeah ok recent & may be irelevant : was done in Palmerston north

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Was the number not.sandblasted into.the rear window too?

Owner hasn't checked, but have told him to look.

Have they looked on chassis near front suspension mounts on drivers side? Might need to pull the wheel off to see

37 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

Have they looked on chassis near front suspension mounts on drivers side? Might need to pull the wheel off to see

This is where mine is on my D21 Jap import Ute. 

Its a Mini, it doesnt have a chassis, and there isnt a lot of places to hide it...

• Like 1

Maybe I'm crazy but why would you put it in a place that's going to get covered in shit the first time you drive the car?

• Like 2

Why would the chassis be getting pounded with rocks inside the wheel arch?   It might get dirty, sure. A little more scratches than if tucked away neatly in the engine bay or a door jam but unless someone was going out of their way to destroy it, considering it will be close to the pivot points for the suspension, I'm sure it will be absolutely fine. 

• Like 1

Contacted the vtnz that did the compliance and they had no records of where it was affixed but thought it should be in the engine bay near chassis plate (which is on slam panel). They're going to contact the current owner and work through it with him, which may require a new plate to be fitted. 

So, when getting a car re-reg'd, double check they fitted a VIN plate! 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately not a hell of a lot of choice when it comes to re-registering a car :(

• Like 1

Cert/brake modification question. 

So maybe you have been following my triumph project thread... For my front brake conversion I machined down the back of the hubs where the discs bolt on, by 4.5mm, to get the disc in the right place in relation to the caliper.

Some times after doing that I realised that the interior diameter of the hub is larger in the middle.

I was slightly concerned that machining the disc mounting face might be close to breaking through to the interior.

I had a spare hub, it was scrap because I machined the disc location diameter undersize..... Soooooo I cut it in half with the band saw.

I've drawn in the 4.5mm that has been removed. The thickness has gone from 6mm to 3.5mm.

How thin is too thin? 

The disc is bolted to the wheel side of the hub so I don't think that area is loaded during braking.

Is this going to be okay/safe? What would @cletus  say?

20200203_202754.thumb.jpg.8a7db6613b5e79d31bad1b223bd848cf.jpg

20200203_211544.thumb.jpg.2c2cc98ed56de23c8d349e710f87deab.jpg

If that came to me as a job, I wouldn't pass it. 

you could run it past LVVTA  and see what they say, they might approve it if you can prove its strong enough somehow

But

You have an engine which makes a lot more power, a decent brake upgrade, I assume better suspension and tyres than original... so the load on that part is increased over what it was originally designed for, and now it's nearly half as thick in a critical area. I dont think it would go through