For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Clint, re: bucket seats, I haven't got the rails and don't plan on havin the car road legal but if do I one day, is it ok to weld weld steel pipe/bar/WHY to the car and bolt seats direct to this so they have no movement?

Car is a sedan and will likely be caged but not certain yet.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just for info value..

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/docs/gen-7-vehicle-interior-v4a3.pdf

Table 7-1-1 on page 7-1-2

LVV certification is not required provided that:

the seat is either an unmodified OE seat from another vehicle or of a known and reputable aftermarket brand, and

– the seat is fitted to unmodified OE seat anchorages, and

– the seatbelt anchorage or operation is not affected, and

– the seat components (including brackets, runners and rails) are compatible with each other, ie they are either OE components from a production vehicle or of a known and reputable aftermarket brand, and are not fitted together by welding, and

– the relationship between seat, seat occupant, front airbag and location of the seatbelt anchorages is not affected.

Clint, re: bucket seats, I haven't got the rails and don't plan on havin the car road legal but if do I one day, is it ok to weld weld steel pipe/bar/WHY to the car and bolt seats direct to this so they have no movement?

Car is a sedan and will likely be caged but not certain yet.

if its for motorsport use then that will be ok

there is stuff in the hobby car manual describing how to do exactly this

• 2 weeks later...

Have the rules on catalytic converters changed again? Last time I checked it was something like Jap motors made after 1988 had to have a cat fitted if the car it came out of had one originally, I've just been told this may not be right any more? My car will be going in for cert in about 3 weeks and it's money I'd rather not have to spend.

766275.jpg

Is something like this certifiable? Its' an A arm suspension kit for a beetle, bolts and welds to the existing suspension points on the pan. Would the fabricated spindles pass with crack testing?

As a side note, the developer of the kit claims it will improve the handling of a VW beyond that of a Porsche...

Hey Cletus, where would I find the document you mentioned concerning dumping the wastegate out the side of the car? Cheers

here, in the wof book

note 6 page 11-1-2

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm- ... t-v4a3.pdf

it says it has to exit behind the passenger compartment

which is slightly different to the lvv standard - 2.1(5)

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards ... ssions.pdf

so if you ran it out the side infront of the rear wheel you should be right

766275.jpg

Is something like this certifiable? Its' an A arm suspension kit for a beetle, bolts and welds to the existing suspension points on the pan. Would the fabricated spindles pass with crack testing?

As a side note, the developer of the kit claims it will improve the handling of a VW beyond that of a Porsche...

all custom front suspensions like this have to be individually approved by the TAC (technical advisory committee)

they would advise on any requirements to do with crack testing, geometry changes, stuff like that

looks like a good idea for making a beetle handle better

Have the rules on catalytic converters changed again? Last time I checked it was something like Jap motors made after 1988 had to have a cat fitted if the car it came out of had one originally, I've just been told this may not be right any more? My car will be going in for cert in about 3 weeks and it's money I'd rather not have to spend.

just checked the emissions standard and it was updated in dec 2011

cat requirements 2.5

Note 6 Externally venting wastegates (screamer pipes) are not permitted as they are not adequately muffled and the exhaust gases passing through the wastegate are not directed through the vehicle’s exhaust system. However, wastegates that have their own exhaust system or exhaust pipe exiting behind the passenger compartment are permitted.

Does this mean the wastegate exhaust pipe needs a muffler?

Also. Would these be cert'able if I had them redrilled to 4x114.3

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/nonalloy-wheels/auction-443329315.htm

Note 6 Externally venting wastegates (screamer pipes) are not permitted as they are not adequately muffled and the exhaust gases passing through the wastegate are not directed through the vehicle’s exhaust system. However, wastegates that have their own exhaust system or exhaust pipe exiting behind the passenger compartment are permitted.

purely yes if its too loud : must abide by normal exhaust laws

mufflers muffle noise

Hey cletus, what is the go with chopping frame rails shorter, but then welding beefier steel in? would that need to be certed? Or would it be ok if it looked legit enough?

depends, what are you looking at doing?

any structural modifications need cert.

Also. Would these be cert'able if I had them redrilled to 4x114.3

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/nonalloy-wheels/auction-443329315.htm

depends who you ask......... that paragraph says the wastegate has to have its own exhaust system, it doesnt mention anything about a muffler being a legal requirement. also,under test conditions, the wastegate wouldnt be open, there is no drive-by or full throttle noise test.

as for the wheels, depends on how the studs holes are made, usually steel wheels have a pressed raised bit where the wheel nut goes, there may not be enough thickness to drill the hole and taper it

Hey Cletus, where would I find the document you mentioned concerning dumping the wastegate out the side of the car? Cheers

here, in the wof book

note 6 page 11-1-2

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm- ... t-v4a3.pdf

it says it has to exit behind the passenger compartment

which is slightly different to the lvv standard - 2.1(5)

so if you ran it out the side infront of the rear wheel you should be right

One of them mentioned not being allowed to run it out the left side of your car... is this correct?

Hey cletus, what is the go with chopping frame rails shorter, but then welding beefier steel in? would that need to be certed? Or would it be ok if it looked legit enough?

depends, what are you looking at doing?

any structural modifications need cert.

The frames measure 65(w)x45(h)x1.2 wall.

If I replace them with something that's 65x25x5mm would that be ok? What sort of strength are we looking for, second moment of area?