For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

15 hours ago, KKtrips said:

In my opinion, vehicles once they reach a certain age should be able to have all the driver assist, ABS, airbags etc removed, just because getting parts for them if they go bung will be impossible.

But it probably needs to be longer than 14 years, cos my Prius is nearly 14 years old and its just broken in.

A chap I know thinks there is a conspiracy involving Dekra and the car manufacturers (big car?) to try to get all old cars off the roads faster saying it's in the name of safety but really so the manufacturers can sell more new cars. 

As a software guy my concern isn't parts but what happens when the software in cars stops being updated and you could end up with vehicles no longer compliant due to not having some vital update or patch. Someone can always make mechanical parts, but software is all protected by copyright and licensing restrictions so it's not so easy to get around (legally). See all the fights with John Deere about the right to repair around this.

It's a bit like how Apple use planned software obsolesce to force people into new iPhones. Owners of older Teslas will find it starts happening to them soon too I imagine. It's made worse with the way cars seem to becoming more like appliances these days.

14 years is a long time in software terms. That's how long it was between Windows XP being released and the end of life support date for it for example.

We do Agile now, people seem to expect the software to change every two weeks :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Kiwibirdman said:

Where this could get interesting is if someone has bought a new Hilux off a Dealer and said give me everything including bull bars etc on a new vehicle. If the bull bar fitted by the dealer doesn't meet standard then there could be a claim under consumer law.

There was probably thousands of utes sold new from dealers with lift kits that didn't comply 

I went to a large dealer once to cert a vehicle that had big wheels or something,  it also had strut spacers and longer shackles . I told them I had to cert those as well, and it had problems which meant it couldn't be certed as it was

Apparently the supplier of the parts had told them that they didn't need cert so there was a whole lot of utes new from the dealer which weren't legal

because of 3 year wofs, it didn't come up as a problem and I think if the dealer was doing the wof and service it doesn't get picked up for ages  

Then it gets taken to a different place for a wof, knocked back and they ring me saying "there's been a rule change and now I need a fuckin cert, it's bullshit, it's been that way since new and it's fine" 

• Like 8

Yeah when I was fitting things to new utes afew years ago I brought this up in a meeting with big Auckland dealers and the response was not our problem when warranty runs out. They never sold the parts to you they sold you a truck and u had the parts fitted but as a service to you as a customer we will get them fitted before pick up. Toyota was the only one that wouldn’t let curtain products fitted

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Early jap nuter said:

Yeah when I was fitting things to new utes afew years ago I brought this up in a meeting with big Auckland dealers and the response was not our problem when warranty runs out. They never sold the parts to you they sold you a truck and u had the parts fitted but as a service to you as a customer we will get them fitted before pick up. Toyota was the only one that wouldn’t let curtain products fitted

Not sure how well that holds up when you walk back through the door with the original invoice that lists all the added on parts. Under NZ consumer law, they, as the retailer, are on the hook, warranty expired or not. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kiwibirdman said:

they, as the retailer, are on the hook, warranty expired or not. 

Will be interesting to see how that stands up in court. Undoubtedly someone will take a test case, thereby setting a precedent for others to follow.

2 minutes ago, igor said:

Will be interesting to see how that stands up in court. Undoubtedly someone will take a test case, thereby setting a precedent for others to follow.

Just takes one pissed off lawyer who spent a $100k on a blinged out Ranger Raptor to go on a crusade. 

• Like 1

Plenty of legal precedents that you can't weasel your way out of your responsibilities. The courts took the "jointly and severally responsible" line with leaky homes, OSH breaches, employee exploitation. Of course, like with leaky homes, all the small players will try to legally disappear leaving the government or council to carry the can.

At work, we had a similar thing with migrant workers employed by an outsourcer's subcontractor, legally we were still responsible for how they were treated.

If the other mount was already welded there, then it's probably passed WOF's for years without a problem. I'd just avoid welding to factory stuff when possible personally. Obviously it's already do so just carry on. If there was ever an issue you could remove it and tidy the crossmember back up to be like it was never done. When I put a whole new exhaust in mine, it built it from scratch so it didn't match original design. I just bolted up mounts to existing holes then welded on rod bent as hangers to suit those locations. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kerry-TGI said:

I think I might've asked this before and apologise if so - my hilux is missing the load sensing proportioning valve and it's come up again at wof time because my rear brakes lock up.

I've seen online people getting rid of it and replacing with a manual bias valve to tune the brakes. 

Is that cert territory? 

Yes, this is all you are allowed to do without cert

image.png.694818ed91135c297d36ff15fabc74bc.png

image.png.229e8e81ddeb83d85f1b3674f080acc7.png

13 minutes ago, Kerry-TGI said:

Would this part not apply? 

Screenshot_2023-12-01-09-30-40-64_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg.2279a3bd4be424e6177da274a2b56eb9.jpg

Or am I interpreting that wrong? 

As far as I know the problem is not exactly the missing valve but that the rear brakes are imbalanced and there's no adjustment

Getting a cert for a proportioning valve should be easy, but will cost $$.

Can't you replace the factory part? That would be the easiest and probably cheapest option

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/toyota/electrics/listing/4445657106

• Like 1