For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Usually with scratch built project these days people get involved with certifiers from day one. Pay them for some time here and there to have a look at plans and what needs design approval. Take photos and document things. Make sure that when it's all done, it can actually be certified and it makes the final inspection process easier for everyone involved.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually with scratch built project these days people get involved with certifiers from day one. Pay them for some time here and there to have a look at plans and what needs design approval. Take photos and document things. Make sure that when it's all done, it can actually be certified and it makes the final inspection process easier for everyone involved.

I

^ exactly that. theres no time limit for rechecks with scratchbuilt vehicles if its partway through the build

Thats good to know, thanks

I got my check done last week and he said 2 months give or take. Not sure if its inspector specific however

Sounds inspector specific. 

I got a recheck almost6 months after initial check, was sweet as. I had to get a new wheel alignment sheet and stuff though.

A question regarding brakes, I have made these calliper mounts to bolt to my struts. They are made out of 8mm 850 grade mild steel, the tabs have been tig welded on. Will they be good to go? I still have to get them crack tested but want to know if there ok before I get them checked. Also can I use p clamps to secure brake lines and handbrake cables to my diff or do they have to stronger?

Heres the mounts

20150201_1321051_zpsydli80lt.jpg

20150201_1320571_zps30tcwv8k.jpg

If I have these black plates on my car come WoF time (VTNZ), what would Mr. Wof-Man be able to do about them? Would he be required to report them or just be able to fail me (in which case I would just put the whites back on)?

/It's probably easier to just put the whites on for WoF.

1797353_10153115415862049_21316174696505

Rear spacers are too large at 15mm.  Looking to go to 10mm which puts me on the fence between slip on and bolt on's.

If I were to get a slip on such as these, would I just have to drill a hole so that I can just bolt it to the rotor?  Does it have to be bolted through the rotor and into the hub also?  Just want to double check before I go and get them made. (I know I have to taper the hole so that the bolt is flush mounted.)

Or any other recommendations for a 10mm option?
A0XA_129787245824546329RkNGcQ5DsT.jpg

Depends if the change of ownership has been done or not. I've never done one, I have just made sure the change of ownership was done online, at the time of sale, and i've had the receipt emailed to myself. I assume we are talking about the paper form, not an online one.

People still use paper forms?

$9 and 5 minutes online to change it. It's processed instantly too IIRC. That is for change of ownership, which you'd be before handing over keys. I've done it before picking up a car too. Just printed it and showed the seller, no problems.

If you haven't changed ownership, do it ASAP.

• Like 1

Depends if the change of ownership has been done or not. I've never done one, I have just made sure the change of ownership was done online, at the time of sale, and i've had the receipt emailed to myself. I assume we are talking about the paper form, not an online one.

Yeah, I change the ownership to the new owners myself online. But I never fill out the disposal form. Wondered what happens when I dont fill out the disposal form.

I don't think anything happens. I sold a car to a guy who ended up being a bit of a dick. Changed the ownership and spoke to NZTA and they said due to the change of ownership being done, I didn't need to do anything else. So I just went off that. No harm in filling that online form out though now to cover yourself though.

My guess is that the disposal part just confirms to NZTA that you have in fact sold it. Rather than someone changing your car into their name when they shouldn't.

Dear Mr Clint, how would a cert man fell about home made sway bar links? I see some after market kits just use bolts with spacer tubes, would that be acceptable? 

The link in question looks like this:

$_35.JPG

Also, is it OK to put flat bar under sway bar saddles to space them away from the chassis?

ALSO, when bolting a seat down, is there any rule about the size of the plate you have to put under the floor?

Many thanks.

Regards, V Regenold G.

You can get universal kits which are just threaded rod with flared nuts (to set appropriate length), so just DIY your own that way (ie get some high tensile rod. I got some to make my own but never ended up doing it as I have ro raise the car anyway lol). Seems easier than spacer tubes and botls etc