For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if I had to pick between that and Clintaris then I would probably pick Clintasaurus :P

So anyway. Mucho thankso for your advice.

Just so I can clarify this situation here are a bunch of pics of the coilovers below (I went a bit overboard).

Pretty much if where I have marked is welded, then it is a no-go on NZ roads? Which kinda sucks cause thats how they all look to be done, (im not sure how else you could do it).

clintoris was the other one haha

yeah the welding is a no go unfortunately.

this might help explain how it can be done

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/37800-welded-strut-how-to/

driveshaft loop/s is required when

• if the vehicle is scratch-built
  • if it has a modified driveshaft
  • if you have done an engine conversion that has a significant power increase
  • if you add a turbo or supercharger to the original engine
  • if you modify the engine so it has a significant power increase

"significant power increase"= 50% more power than OE

here is the info sheet

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_09-2011_Drive-shaft_Safety_Loop_Requirement_Clarification.pdf

on that topic, would it be OK to get something like this (on the right), cut off the mounting brackets (which would normally bolt to the hub) and assuming it is hollow (and the correct ID), weld the bottom piece onto a cut down strut (like you outlined above)?

264038105.jpg

Reason I ask is s13 front suspension (pictured) has the same/close enough top stud fitment to datsun 1200s/120Ys, but the s13 setup is obviously different (floating hub thingy which bolts to strut). Cheers 

Hey guys I have an old cert plate pre the wheel requirements etc. Buy my car was certed with the standard wheels at the time. Will I need a revert if I intend to put flares and some wider wheels on it and still get wofs? Luffs

Hey man HELLO ALLAN

So, I have bought a length of flat steel to make some loops SPLENDID

but I cant seem to find any real details on what you can and cant do

Can I make the loop in two pieces YES YOU MAY

and what size bolts? MINIMUM 10MM OR 3/8 BOLTS X4 TO ATTACH A LOOP TO THE VEHICLE, 2 EACH SIDE

I have made this diagram to show what I was planning on doing  GOOD WORK. THE TOP PART OF THE LOOP CAN BE BOLTED OR WELDED TO THE BOTTOM BIT SO YOU DONT HAVE TO DOUBLE UP THE LONG BITS. IF YOU ARE BOLTING DIRECTLY TO THE CHASSIS YOU COULD HAVE THE BOLTS SIDE BY SIDE BUT IF YOU ARE GOING THRU THE FLOOR THEN SPACE THEM APART A BIT MORE. IF YOUR CHASSIS RAILS ARE FAR APART OR LOW TO THE GROUND I WOULD BOLT IT TO THE FLOOR,THE SHORTER THE WHOLE THING IS THE STRONGER IT WILL BE. USE A 100X50 PIECE OF STEEL TO MAKE A 'WASHER' LIKE IN YOUR DIAGRAM AND ALL WILL BE JUST SWELL.

driveshaftloop_zps78e30969.jpg

Blue is the drive shaft

Black is the loop in two pieces

green is the floor

and red are the bolts.

However, this is the plan without having a look under my car

I have another option, as the crown is solid chassis, if i make the loop in two pieces, and bolt halfs together with two bolts, would i need to use to bolts at each end also?

driveshaftloop2_zps38ed978c.jpg

Pink are the chassis rails

And when you say two bolts each side, can they be side by side? as in across the width of the steel as opposed to the length?

Sorry for all the questions

I just want to do the job once haha