Mk1 transit talk

Hogibear

It’s been a while since iv posted on here. I used to have a different user name but can’t get into that profile. 
anyway I have bought a mk1 transit and know nothing about them, iv heard there may be a couple people hiding on here that know a bit more. 
I feel I’m going to have a lot of questions as I get deeper into it. 
first question is diff rations, it has been pinto swapped but had a factory diff. At 100kph sounds like the poor engine is nearly valve bouncing. What are the common diff swaps for these?

C1C411DE-9DDD-429A-B687-4E73420C77A8.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Hogibear said:

It’s been a while since iv posted on here. I used to have a different user name but can’t get into that profile. 
anyway I have bought a mk1 transit and know nothing about them, iv heard there may be a couple people hiding on here that know a bit more. 
first question is diff rations, it has been pinto swapped but had a factory diff. At 100kph sounds like the poor engine is nearly valve bouncing. What are the common diff swaps for these?

heaps of information on https://fordtransit.org/forum/

from memory the diff ratio is 5.6:1

10 hours ago, Hogibear said:

Hey Hogan,

@Truenotch can probably reset your @427carguy password, and even change your username if you like.

On 04/02/2024 at 16:38, Cullen said:

And the price tag probably helped

Correct, iv wanted one for years but she was a good price.

As for the diff iv learnt the mk3 zodiac or some mk3 zephyr crown wheel and pinion fit the transit square diffs and will give me a 3.5 ratio which should be better than the 5.6 that I believe I have. Failing that its just an axle on leaf springs so I’ll measure flange to flange and find a whole rear axle to fit. 

These vans have the diff under the leaf springs so I’ll have to cut off the spring perches and flip them for the axle to go above to lower it more, at this point a whole axle out of something better might be the better option. 

anyway maybe it’s time to start a build thread

• Like 4

On 01/02/2024 at 23:47, CUL8R said:

@browndog would be your man on here Hogan.

Weirdly I just found this one on Marketplace and sent it to him on PM

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/718723943565868/ (Also in chch)

I messaged her before she put a price on it and gave her an offer but she said she will wait and see, I paid $1800 for mine so struggle to entertain the idea of paying the $1200 she wants for a dereg rusty one just for parts 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hogibear said:

As for the diff iv learnt the mk3 zodiac or some mk3 zephyr crown wheel and pinion fit the transit square diffs and will give me a 3.5 ratio which should be better than the 5.6 that I believe I have. Failing that its just an axle on leaf springs so I’ll measure flange to flange and find a whole rear axle to fit. 

These vans have the diff under the leaf springs so I’ll have to cut off the spring perches and flip them for the axle to go above to lower it more, at this point a whole axle out of something better might be the better option. 

If I just made a build thread for the MG, you've got no choice as you're about to embark on a roof un-cut.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hogibear said:

I've read the AU falcon live axle is wide enough to clear the springs (make new spring perches to suit) it's still a narrower diff you you get the benefit of being able to use a deep dish wheel on the back if that doesn't bother you. (many ratios available for this diff in factory form from about 3.08, 3.27, 3.45 but you could get many more ratios if needed. 

CRS used to make a falcon front brake conversion (falcon discs, kingswood calipers) but not sure if they still do (Australia) and Hoppers stoppers may do something since? (Melbourne Australia ) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yep Zephyr/Zodiac CWP is what you need. 3.5 seems to work well with a Pinto. Lots of complete diff swap options available, but if you want to keep it simple then the CWP swap works best. Side gears are different on the Transit, so you need to build the Transit diff head with the CWP from the Zephyr.   

There's a nicely patina'd one of these dailying about motueka but it's a 4wd with a V6. It looks and sounds cool as fuck.

I lived in a mk2 (jumbo spec with dual rears) for 2 years. Pinto powered. Drove it some long distances on UK motorways. Can't remember it being overly low geared though. Guessing the mk2s has higher ratio options you could look out for? 

Screenshot_20240218-072904_Instagram.jpg

• Like 1

On 17/02/2024 at 07:28, browndog said:

yep Zephyr/Zodiac CWP is what you need. 3.5 seems to work well with a Pinto. Lots of complete diff swap options available, but if you want to keep it simple then the CWP swap works best. Side gears are different on the Transit, so you need to build the Transit diff head with the CWP from the Zephyr.   

Cheers I’ll be begin the hunt for a crown wheel and pinion