Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

Its more about hoping not to induce knock with the high compression / keeping a better safety margin and where I know its safe. 

So my ignition and fuel adjustments are very aggressively keeping things on the safe side if it gets hot. 

The motor got a lot louder and felt a bit flatter at end of the straights.

Also since there's no oil cooler its more like the oil put heat into the block, then the coolant cools the block. 

So in a round about way keeping coolant lower keeps oil lower too.

So far its been good at keeping the radiator temp to a decent level.

• Like 5

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Higher octane usually helps if you are unable to keep advancing the ignition timing, because the engine is knocking or very close to knocking.
However in this case the motor made its best power on dyno without knocking at all. So there's a bit of margin on 98 octane. 
In which case I dont think 100 octane would help. 

E85 might give some tiny tiny gains from charge cooling or whatever but it's unlikely to be worth the hassle.

• Like 5

Any idea what the drum vs disc rear end weight difference is? If not would be keen to read about it when you do it :p

I'd also be keen to understand if it gives you slightly better braking performance, remind me are you getting any brake fade currently? In saying that swapping out pads each track day is surely easier then swapping drum shoes?

Hopefully sideskirts make a difference, I think they look good though.

Curious on how you utilise the filter options and see what you come up with.

Weight difference for disc rear isnt too much. The main problem is it means i cant fit my skinny 13s on the back for drag day anymore.

No brake fade at the moment, but i think currently the fronts have been doing all the work. To be honest it amazed me how good the braking was.

But will have a bit more grip available now, so can hopefully lean on the brakes a bit harder.

Im a bit nervous about changing too many things at once from last time, as it truly was amazingly good with such a simple setup.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Roman said:

321817077_5935821096440828_67076771318008796_n.jpg.e1f52710b4f21e9b93085a24d68a1395.jpg

Will take some fuckery to make it fit securely but its pretty sweet.
Also, the tiny wheels/tyres are friggen sweet. haha

Looking forward to seeing the 3d printed carbon wrapped MSPaint CFD optimised solution you settle on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1