Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Roman said:

I'm also going to have a go at casting some bump stops from polyurethane with a 3d printed mould. 
As I figure it might just be fun to do, then makes it easy to try some variations later on if it works well.
So I'm just printing a very thin walled tube. So then I'll use lots of mould release wax on it, then after pouring hopefully I'll be able to just break it off. 

image.png.b76b67023eb456f295f81fbfd5eef22b.png

Doesn't making them cone shaped make them progressive? Maybe taper the mould out from the bottom??

Yeah 

Maybe @cletus idea of a solid spacer with a shorter bump stop is a better plan than what I'm thinking.
This way can have a cone shape or whatever be more effective. 

I'm trying Shore A 60 simply because that's what I bought a while back to fill my engine mounts. Might be a little on the soft side for a bump stop. 
Also it might be a disaster and impossible to get out of the mould. haha.

The ones I've ordered are this sort of shape, 85mm long uncompressed. So probably compress down to smaller than I'd like. 

1622154994.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shrike said:

Silly question but the shocks are still in good nick yeah? are they inserts or a sealed unit? if inserts you can put spacers on the bottom to give more height so that it bottoms out higher if that makes sense (similar to running MR2 shock inserts in I think it was KE70 struts etc)

Wondering if you need shorter travel shocks?

Haven't played with suspension in awhile so may not be making sense, please correct if I am mistaken :)

On the front, I am using Ohlin coilovers which have an inverted strut, which is some sort of wizard magic thing that I'm definitely not going to try open haha. Not an insert.
I'm not sure if this means the bump stop is actually internal down in the guts of it? 
I dont think there's a bump stop on them otherwise, anyway. The front is not a problem.

On the rear, the spring is separate from the shock. So the bump stop just slides over the shock body.
So I can pull the shock in and out really easily. So it's not a drama to experiment with it a bit.

4 minutes ago, Roman said:

Yeah 

Maybe @cletus idea of a solid spacer with a shorter bump stop is a better plan than what I'm thinking.
This way can have a cone shape or whatever be more effective. 

I'm trying Shore A 60 simply because that's what I bought a while back to fill my engine mounts. Might be a little on the soft side for a bump stop. 
Also it might be a disaster and impossible to get out of the mould. haha.

The ones I've ordered are this sort of shape, 85mm long uncompressed. So probably compress down to smaller than I'd like. 

1622154994.jpg

Dude those are sex toys, not bumpstops, you're on the wrong part of aliexpress again

• Like 1

The inverted shock will still be an insert. The big fat shiny bit you see is just the shock body which slides in a linear bushing. The shaft of the shock attaches at the bottom just like a conventional shock does at the top..

They are actually pretty easy to dismantle once you know what you are doing. I had a set of aragostas which needed a few linear bushing replace over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely want at least a little bit of taper on the mould, will make it a whole lot easier to get the casting out.

These things have like a 1.5 deg taper and are used for making microscopy samples, really quite easy to get the casting out afterwards.

https://shop.buehler.com/castable-mounting-molds

https://shop.buehler.com/content/images/thumbs/0011139_samplkup-30mm-12-pcs.jpeg

• Like 1

Can I humbly suggest you do another crowd funding before drags? If you have $$/unaccountable slushfunds in unmarked Colombian pesos which definitely don't smell of bananas/spare block on the bench at home, I reckon that'll translate to 0.177 @RUNAMUCKunits of reduced mechanical sympathy, probably good for about image.png.f2855638e7c0489727e39f7683ffaa5f.png , yeah, about 9.5ms per gear. I for one would throw beer money at that, just for the repeat ensuing shits and giggles, like aiming for actual real max RPM analysis.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, h4nd said:

Can I humbly suggest you do another crowd funding before drags? If you have $$/unaccountable slushfunds in unmarked Colombian pesos which definitely don't smell of bananas/spare block on the bench at home, I reckon that'll translate to 0.177 @RUNAMUCKunits of reduced mechanical sympathy, probably good for about image.png.f2855638e7c0489727e39f7683ffaa5f.png , yeah, about 9.5ms per gear. I for one would throw beer money at that, just for the repeat ensuing shits and giggles, like aiming for actual real max RPM analysis.

There needs to be a romandave patreon

• Like 1

Dont worry, it will be full send at the drags.
At a track day there's not quite so much benefit from revving it right out. 
But at the drags, its mandatory.

I've got a few extra tricks up my sleeve this time, but it'll mostly be the weather gods I need to pray to! 

• Like 4