Welder buying spam

kws

Finally turned in my old DX bottles for some new D-plan ones. Stick on DX said that the scheme was going to end in 2008 so not too bad.

Apparently the old acetylene bottles have to go to Aussie for proper disposal.

20230518_115927.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Raizer said:

No Bunnings near you?

/or did you get a discount on D-plan?

I embrace the borg.

It's only a little more $ if I use a bottle a year, and I can do swaps 5 mins up the road instead of 45 min away at Bunnings.

Also, bunnings has a $240 deposit on each bottle, so this would have cost me $700 in the short term, instead of $250.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jusepy82 said:

Had a little play with my welder today. Complete fail , feel like I'm back at square one but as the old saying goes  " if you dont use it , you loose it" 

Time to put in the effort and learn.

I find this with mine too, especially with changes in season as ambient temps for me make a big difference in how the welder feels. As it gets colder i have to reset the settings to get it welding nice again.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys , wife took the daughter out for a play date so I thought I'd do some welding on a project I'm doing.

An ammo lock box I'm modifying. 

Pretty happy with the weld and myself to be honest. Been watching alot of youtube videos and such.

Cheers lads

20230730_114802.jpg

20230730_114821.jpg

20230730_114940.jpg

20230730_114857.jpg

• Like 2

Depends what you are doing I guess. Was it lap weld of two panels?

You'd see evidence of the weld a lot clearer on the underside if penetration was good. Last weld I did was plug weld two panels together and you could see the plugs from both sides of job.

Perhaps wind the wire speed back a bit and leave the other settings as is. If I could get to my welder I'd chuck up examples of cold welds and welds with good penetration. Can't even get to my bench though.

Not saying that job will fall apart at all. But in a case where you need more strength, it may be lacking. Also don't do it for a job so could be off mark. But that's my experience.

• Like 2

On 30/07/2023 at 14:08, Bling said:

What's the backside look like? Looks a little cold as the edge of the slugs isn't melted into the base material. Just guessing anyway, could be wrong, backside will give the answer.

Most likely bing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kpr said:

ac/dc tig,  200amp or  more,   budget around 3k.     Any stand out machines these days?  or chose your chinese shade of colour ?

I'm running one of these, but I've had it a few years now and it appears inflation has not been kind, I think it was about $1700 trade price including adjustable hand piece and 8m lead when i got mine..

https://www.saecowilson.co.nz/product/wia-weldarc-200i-ac-dc-arc-tig-welder/

On 08/08/2023 at 14:49, kpr said:

ac/dc tig,  200amp or  more,   budget around 3k.     Any stand out machines these days?  or chose your chinese shade of colour ?

If you have 3ph you may be able to pick up an older Miller Syncrowave or Lincoln Squarewave for around that kinda money. They are bigger transformer type machines but pretty solid/reliable bits of gear.

If you are after a single phase invertor style I'd probably look into a Cigweld Weldskill 205. Can get them new for under $3k.