Welder buying spam

kws

Tig welder question

This is my machine, will it work with the type of torch that connects separately for the power (in the - terminal) and gas (where the tig torch connects now)?

P1080512.JPG

I kinda assume so because you can buy adaptors that do the opposite?

image.png.7a9eeb21e33cda7945c94f3f469de712.png

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Jusepy82 said:

Hey has anyone used a c02 fire extinguisher as their bottle for welding as a gas setup ?

Im about to pull the trigger on the cigweld 185 and need to start thinking about a gas setup. Ive noticed bunnings has a bottle scheme ...

Yup, was running co2. Was a good option

1 hour ago, Jusepy82 said:

Hey has anyone used a c02 fire extinguisher as their bottle for welding as a gas setup ?

Im about to pull the trigger on the cigweld 185 and need to start thinking about a gas setup. Ive noticed bunnings has a bottle scheme ...

I run an owner bottle 5kg of co2 on my mig, goes hard for what it is. 

• Like 1

Same here. I bought a 5kg bottle 10 years ago for about $250 and I get it refilled by the fire extinguisher place.

11 years ago the refill was about $35

Its now about $45~50... 

Apparently/maybe Co2 is less common these days/climate change is a hoax :scratch:

But yeah. I've used argoshield plenty in the past but fuck that cost for mig welding when half the time the welds are probably ground back on car restos or if it's a trailer build then c02 shielded welds are fine. 

Mig welder I use is a 180amp weldtech invertor from proline also 11 years ago. Goes well. 20220920_104736.jpg.d039c5ededf410728627ecc5ba5359da.jpg

20220920_104747.jpg.338615c348314ef4aa1e5be35cb340f1.jpg

• Like 2

On 30/08/2022 at 20:16, Nominal said:

Tig welder question

This is my machine, will it work with the type of torch that connects separately for the power (in the - terminal) and gas (where the tig torch connects now)?

P1080512.JPG

I kinda assume so because you can buy adaptors that do the opposite?

image.png.7a9eeb21e33cda7945c94f3f469de712.png

Your welder looks very similar to my Jasic (good old welders) so here's a pick of my set up that might help you?

20220920_104943.jpg.30937887d292fb67383a7dc79f76850b.jpg

20220920_104955.jpg.2535e8a0826e7c455a1a3b2266bca7b1.jpg

• Thanks 1

One thing to factor in when gearing up for co2 mig is you'll need a thread adapter to use a normal argon regulator.. 

Such as:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/building-renovation/tools/other/listing/3770563324?gclid=CjwKCAjwpqCZBhAbEiwAa7pXeWLObiEjzt92tsZfPaU-opb8YAdYHnlBIL2ZMIdhqGxRwXmBBPNAoRoC-CkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 3

Yeah cylinder size / type will depend on usage as well. I had my owner cylinder (6.8kg)tested in the last couple of years and filled with CO2 for ~$100 all up. No plans to start any rusty projects in the future so it will likely need another test at next fill. No rental to worry about makes it pretty cheaper motoring welding. 

Looking at getting my first welder and am looking at this kit from Machinery Warehouse. https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/k1103

I have no idea what im doing yet so will need something fairly foolproof to get me started. Is this a decent kit/welder? All of my welding will be car related so don't need anything too heavy.

57 minutes ago, Mattwho? said:

Looking at getting my first welder and am looking at this kit from Machinery Warehouse. https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/k1103

I have no idea what im doing yet so will need something fairly foolproof to get me started. Is this a decent kit/welder? All of my welding will be car related so don't need anything too heavy.

That's pretty good, but budget in a big regulator to take normal bottles. Those small ones are not cost effective 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

That's pretty good, but budget in a big regulator to take normal bottles. Those small ones are not cost effective 

Brill thanks mate, I was also looking at the Cigweld 135 Inverter which is around $550. I suppose it would be around the same price by the time I get a regulator, gas bottle and helmet? 

will need a co2 reg to run that gas.

why not run a coregas bottle from bunnings?

I have an empty one sitting here doing nothing as I have gone through our local supplier on rental bottles.. upped to an F bottle.

Bonus with bunnings is that you just swap it over... pay a "deposit" to get your first bottle though.

• Like 3

I have that welder, and use the mig gas from bunnings. Goes hard for what it is. Takes a bit of setting up the machine for a noob but once I was using gas and not flux core the welding seems pretty consistent. 

I paid about $600 for the welder, plus mask, gloves etc, so that's a pretty sharp price with that welding table too. 

• Like 1