The Dutch, Scottish, & Indian people megathread (Driving economically)

Roman

Correct, and the 4wd ones aren't in 4wd while being driven on the road - when in 4wd High and Low, it locks the rear diff and center diff... I'm sure through a combination of button stabbing it can be disabled.

On the odd occasion I've borrowed one of the rep's ones for the day, I can drop the consumption down to 2wd flat-deck levels by simply not driving it like I stole it - By default our reps seem to use all of the revs and frequently forget that there is also a 5th and 6th gear...

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Lada being full time 4wd drinks like a sailor but when I had to remove the front driveshaft to replace a UJ it felt much happier about moving along.

How much energy is lost in a diff, I know unlocking hubs makes a big difference, but is there really that much drag?

Also found this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-quality-micro-hall-fuel-flow-sensor-meter-for-diesel-gasoline/32605337509.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.58.pik0R1&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_10,searchweb201602_5_10017_10034_10021_507_10022_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_9&btsid=d8b836e9-aea2-4055-bbfc-2dc734523970

Although I wonder if it could handle petrol without melting!

• Like 1

My Lada being full time 4wd drinks like a sailor but when I had to remove the front driveshaft to replace a UJ it felt much happier about moving along.

How much energy is lost in a diff, I know unlocking hubs makes a big difference, but is there really that much drag?

Also found this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-quality-micro-hall-fuel-flow-sensor-meter-for-diesel-gasoline/32605337509.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.58.pik0R1&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_10,searchweb201602_5_10017_10034_10021_507_10022_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_9&btsid=d8b836e9-aea2-4055-bbfc-2dc734523970

Although I wonder if it could handle petrol without melting!

Does the lada have a center diff? I don't see how free wheeling hubs could work on a full time 4wd as you'd lose all drive to the rear too? ( Because the front can spin freely in the hubs)

Confused!

Does the lada have a center diff? I don't see how free wheeling hubs could work on a full time 4wd as you'd lose all drive to the rear too? ( Because the front can spin freely in the hubs)

Confused!

Yeah, Niva's have a center diff and center diff lock, remove driveshaft and engage the diff lock, game on! I've had it in both rear and front wheel drive on occasions, rwd really lightens the steering and makes them much nicer to drive on road, really wish the ruskies worked out a 2wd option when they built them.

There is a eastern euro company that make a bolt on adapter that gives 2wd functionality but i'd never pay it off in fuel use because of freight charges!

• Like 2

So it turns out the hilariously boxy looking Subaru XT is actually some genius aerodynamic masterpiece that spent countless hours in the wind tunnel during it's design.

Clocks in with a very surprising c.d. of 0.29

Pretty impressive for something that looks like its design was based on a tupperware container

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_XT#Aerodynamics

I struggled not to mention these when you started calculating aero for your car. 

Also, Vortex not so fuel efficient. 

• Like 1

Back in my mini days was in Nelson for holidays & ended up having only enough money for two tanks of fuel to get back to Invers. 1000km. only @  5 gal tank (22.5 L) 40+ psi in the tyres & cruising @ 70- 80ks where possible,@ 100ks when needing to- til Balclutha then sunk the boot in coz I'd worked out had more than enough to get home from there.

• Like 2

I have been maintaing the just under/over 4l per 100km on each trip in the daily.

Based on 45l tank, if I can maintain this I should be able to go 1100km before next refill. (?!)

Auckland to Christchurch on a tank of gas...

Which is nearly 5 weeks of driving to work and back, West Harbour to Penrose.

It'll be interesting to see how the OBD2 compares to the fuel top up + check kms method though.

I have started using fuelly so time will tell at next fill up... in a few weeks. :)

It's taken hilariously long to go through just under 1/4 of a tank.

On my other car, there are a few plastic underbody panels etc that have been off the car that I'm refitting to see if it helps at all.

Some look to just be stone gaurds, but I think some of the other bits would contribute in a useful sort of way towards reducing drag a little.
  • Like 2

I'll accellerate slow-ish up to say 95-100kph 
Then put car in neutral and coast down to say 80-85.
then accellerate again, rinse repeat. 

You only end up with foot on the gas for about 1/4 of the time or less because it actually takes quite a while to scrub off your speed.

What I find is that I am generally travelling at the same speed as traffic around me anyway (Most of my trip to work is 80kph zone) but using 20-30% less gas.
  • Like 1

Logged an average of 6.8l per 100 from huntly to warkworth return in my commodore last weekend. I consider that frugal for a 3.8 supercharged lump.

I got my 1400ks out of a tank in my triumph before with some wacky tuning.

• Like 1