h4nd

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to get a pool table. It's a childhood dream come true and despite not really having a big enough house to put it in, we do have a spare lounge that has no real purpose...so that's now my pool room (let's call it "a work in progress")

4636.thumb.jpeg.522e57b92117b557a6f86dedb13f8e4d.jpeg

Now there's one end of the table where the wall is a tad too close. Solution ...cut the cues down, or build a bigger house???

Okay, for now I think I'll just cut the cues down.

5336.thumb.jpeg.7ebbbff3ccaa491ad9819e4dc4a3febf.jpeg

Cue loaded in lathe.

5335.thumb.jpeg.89e9d44f7b2d7b169012995d5041a2ba.jpeg

Boring a hole to stick the weight back into the butt of the cue.

5337.thumb.jpeg.94f487804671e59e828dfa482043e29d.jpeg

And there we have it. 2x shorties, 3x tall timber.

Next on list is to make a pool cue rack and a sexy pool table light box thingy like the pubs have hanging above the tables.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm having a go at making a (double) rustic sliding barn door. I had a look a at few options to buy one ready made and it was going to be a couple grand.

So, off to bunnings... $200 in rough sawn timber later. Which was then run over my buzzer to bring it into shape and unify thickness etc. I'm trying to keep some character in this, so not looking to make it perfect, just a little nicer than the shit timber I picked up...but not as perfect as framing timber either.

20190217_161249.thumb.jpeg.059f108a2ed57c0c251c32208e060469.jpeg

20190217_161314.thumb.jpeg.4bc57edf0ad87bbbe94b7126080c322d.jpeg

I was so absorbed in making this today I didn't remember to take photos along the way. But this is it all glued up on the floor. The diagonal and corners are just temporarily screwed on to hold it square while the glue dries.

I'll call the above "stage 1". Next up is to make my own hardware, finish the door and hang it. Though those steps may be spread across a few more weeks to come.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I made a not so successful chain tensioner using a hairpin style spring. It worked okay(ish)...but not great. So I converted it to double coil springs and it's now working spot on!

It needs this as the wheels weren't designed to have a sprocket. I added the sprocket using long bolts and spacers, so getting it to run 100% true was never going to happen. It's within about 1/4 of a millimeter but in the world of spinning mass...it may as well be a meter out!

This tensioner allows a slack chain to work, and takes out the highs and lows in the system. Full tank of gas later in running time...no issues...success looks like this! 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/03/2019 at 16:41, Valiant said:

About 18 months ago I picked this up to make into a wood elevator.

Fast forward to today.

Ready to lift some wood!

Do you realise what this means?

You'll be able to discover how much wood would a wood lift lift, now that a would lift could lift wood! :cheese:

(sorry, I'll show myself out...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4