China Electronic Distributors

R100

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moneys always a problem lol but you do get what you pay for. So much china nasty shit in the market nowdays, some of it good, most of it bad.

After reading everyones opinions on the china dizzys i will do some more research and maybe even pop down to segidens for a chat.

Ive done  little research on the net and theres mixed opinions about the china stuff on overseas forums.

Its always good to ask on here and get some real life opinions from you guys. 

Cheers

I've got a Boursin electronic distributor in my car. Build quality is surprisingly good. Gonna keep an eye on the bushes though, done half a year's worth of driving with no issues however.

My only gripe is that a genuine distributor cap doesn't fit on it, can't remember if it is too tight or too loose.

The buggers have tripled in price on aliexpress in the last year as well, now they are way too expensive.

I got suckered in to buying one of those afterburner dissy coil and leads from v8 parts for my sbc.

Went alright for awhile then module fuct out and stalled and wouldn't start at major intersection in auckland cbd so towed it home.

Got another module and all seemed good till one day started splattering then died on the motorway so towed it home found coil leaking fluid so was getting to hot.

So ripped all that chinese shit out put a msd hei in it and never ran better.

Serve me rite for buying cheap shit...

My dad was running a very cheap nasty china dizzy on his 418SBM. Went okay, till it raped the head gaskets. The mopar guru's were dismayed by how badly egg shaped the fire rings were. And thanks to 50 years of engineering with precious little hearing protection he couldn't any any pings/detonation.

Would not trade again.

He just bought an MSD pro billet for it.

I'm gonna retract my recommendation for buying chinese distributors. Mine has developed some play recently and makes the engine feel pretty dead/rough between 2000 and 3000 RPM under high throttle. Gonna put the Toyota electronic distributor back in today.

I got suckered in to buying one of those afterburner dissy coil and leads from v8 parts for my sbc.

Went alright for awhile then module fuct out and stalled and wouldn't start at major intersection in auckland cbd so towed it home.

Got another module and all seemed good till one day started splattering then died on the motorway so towed it home found coil leaking fluid so was getting to hot.

So ripped all that chinese shit out put a msd hei in it and never ran better.

Serve me rite for buying cheap shit...

This is exactly what happened my cheap dizzy from v8 parts. Spend the money and get something decent
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

ahh, just looking to upgrade from points to electronic HEI for red 308.

was looking at that cheap M&H stuff on tardme but hmmmm.. don't want to fork out heaps, but want something decent for standard street use

not too sure which to do, the MSD ignition box or Pertronix

from my understanding:

-MSD will wire in and give HEI, retaining the original points dizzy and coil. still have points to maintain? what is the benefits of adding the blaster 2 coil?

-Pertronix will install into dizzy, replacing points but still give standard spark and retain coil. no points to maintain. if I add an high energy coil, will I get HEI & need a relay to bypass the resistor wire?

hopefully that makes sense

Yup, like Spiro says - no amount of electronic wizardry is going to fix your problems if your dizzy is fucked.

Points is fine if you the rest of the dizzy is fine. a MSD 6a box will be good but unnecessary on the street but still gives you a good spark for reliable running.

How big is your budget?

allowing budget of 5k. depends on how much the engine refresh is going to cost first.

hopefully hone, rings, bearings, frost plugs, valve grind, head skim, gaskets/seals, carb kit etc

I would expect the dizzy should be ok considering its ticked over 65k, will have it checked during refresh.

• Like 1

points with a msd box last for aaages, because they only earth the trigger wire for the msd, they dont have any ergs going thru them.

ive used msd streetfire boxes on a couple of cars, they work well and are smaller than a 6al etc, and have adjustable rev limit

• Like 1