Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Nominal said:

Anyone know where to get this style of strap exhaust mount seen on @Sunbeam's Fiat build thread?

I had a look at Chase but couldn't see anything similar....

IMG_1801.jpeg

edit - looks like a Fiat part

image.png.74e77fe4fefb52a14ddcb88d9131cabc.png

Mine came with an order of Fiat gubbins from oldtimer-shop.eu in Slovenia.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Apparently being points, they really like a solid 6v to run.

Oh yeah, if it's still got the shitty old fashioned selenium rectifier, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium_rectifier

we can perk up the charge system a bit. It'll cost $4.70, though https://www.jaycar.co.nz/br106-10a-600v-bridge-rectifier/p/ZR1320

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, h4nd said:

Oh yeah, if it's still got the shitty old fashioned selenium rectifier, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium_rectifier

we can perk up the charge system a bit. It'll cost $4.70, though https://www.jaycar.co.nz/br106-10a-600v-bridge-rectifier/p/ZR1320

Youre going to have to speak a bit slower for those of us who arent electrical engineers.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Tbh, i suspect its probably poo'd 

It was a cheapie from jaycar. Which is where ill grab another. Apparently being points, they really like a solid 6v to run.

I get my lead acid bike batteries from Don at Pit Lane out in the country. He's still got stock of genuine Yuasa.

Power for amp and stereo. Any reason to get proper fuse holders over just insulated (with added heat shrink on each spade) spade fittings onto fuse? Fuse holders are relatively cheap (though I'd have to go Narva not Temu, same same I'm sure) but they all required connections to different wire sizes and I have the wire to do the whole lot the same gauge. Low requirement 10-15A(ea) not at car to confirm.

So yeah anything wrong with that connection type? Both will be secured at battery so pretty well protected. 

So yeah $25 well spent or is this fine:

Screenshot_2024-05-04-06-14-27-18_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Like 1

Nothing electrically wrong except extreme OCD triggering.

If likely to get wet then terrible and if the fuse blows you will hate past self when the wires rip from the crimp as you struggle for grip to replace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks team. Odds of getting wet will be very very slim. Dry weather car and it will be tucked with fuse box. Example photo above. I have the ratcheting crimps which seem pretty solid. Have same setup in other car for years. But figured I'd see if anything inherently wrong with the setup before using it again. 

Was looking to use spare fuse box slots, but doubt id have the correct fittings to slot in.

The vacuum setup on the carb will already blow your OCD socks off if you happen to pop the hood.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nominal said:

@tortron ever tried to adjust the accuracy of a bmc Smiths speedo? I’m keen to give it a bash.

I did with one of my Morris Minors 

And then I replaced the speedo with a spare so it worked again

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1