Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How easy is it to install a car alarm/keyless entry? 
the car in question has central locking already. Just thought it would be nice to have keyless entry rather than use the key all the time. 
what wires go where etc? As I’ll probably be purchasing a cheap unit that may not have instructions. 

On 06/07/2023 at 15:29, 87creepin said:

How easy is it to install a car alarm/keyless entry? 
the car in question has central locking already. Just thought it would be nice to have keyless entry rather than use the key all the time. 
what wires go where etc? As I’ll probably be purchasing a cheap unit that may not have instructions. 

Mid 90s car, easy as, beyond that it comes down to the individual vehicle due to mind numbing complex methods used to make a lever move up and down, the information is usually out there as to what wire is hidden where.

4 link bushings.

have found a nice kit close to home but uses heim joints.

another one is an extra $200 and probably 3 weeks shipping, but uses poly bushes.

are the heim joints a terrible idea to use on a road car?

I’ve only used them in Stockcar’s, theyr naturally noisey so couldn’t really tell.

1 hour ago, shizzl said:

4 link bushings.

have found a nice kit close to home but uses heim joints.

another one is an extra $200 and probably 3 weeks shipping, but uses poly bushes.

are the heim joints a terrible idea to use on a road car?

I’ve only used them in Stockcar’s, theyr naturally noisey so couldn’t really tell.

Heims are used fairly often in the minitruck world. As are polybushes.

You'll generally get more articulation with heims, but also more 'road noise'. Heims need to be teflon lined to meet lvv requirements.

Polybushes dont flex as much and can wear out quick if you overstress them, but are a bit more comfortable if you use the right ones. Some of the cheap chassistech ones are shitty hard urethane and don't last. 

A combo of heims/polys is common too. I generally do this.

Just make sure you use the chart in the car construction manual to get the size vs weight correct for cert. 

• Like 1

You only really have atmospheric pressure to work with on the suction side, so a restrictive filter could drop the flow quite a bit.

Possibly someone makes a low restriction filter for this sort of thing, or even a brass screen sort of thing would help.

I guess this is why factory systems have the sock thing on the inlet side in the tank.

Algodoo to was fun 2D physics modeller/game/ kids edu program, but awkward to edit objects after creation, and no parameterization. FreeCad physics seems to be about static FEM analysis. Suggestions on what to use to make a Dino skeleton out of rods and pivots and springs please ? Meccano? :-D

(There's a new CAD input package for Blender, but it looks rather Beta)

Would a 13b turbo rx7 radiator be sufficient for cooling a boosted 2L engine. I'm limited for space with my engine swap but a 3 core alloy FC radiator looks like it will fit in my limited area and I know dorito motors like to run hot