Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check that the power is making it over the terminals in the solinoid?

If the solinoid is clicking but not turning, chances are it's the brushes or contacts in the solinoid.

If you tap the end cap with a hammer and it starts it's the brushes, the tap is often enough to move the brushes enough to make contact on the com. If the tap is not making a difference Chuck a test light in the cable that goes between the solinod and the starter if it's weak or nonexistent on crank, the power is not making it through the terminals in the solinoid cap.

Conveniently placed coincidence.

It's not pulling any power if the brushes aren't contacting so supplying additional power won't make any difference.

14V at the solenoid could have maybe caused it to smack closed just that little bit harder though, shaking the offending brush into place.

Although this has never happened to me before, is there any reason I should have got a zap from the dizzy body of Nikis Austin while adjusting the timing?

I didn't touch the leads, I'm not an idiot lol.

Cap is newish, leads seem good and are fairly newish also.

Engine developed a miss on test drive tho....... I had got the zap before the test drive.

Chances of spark earthing out inside the dizzy? Earth wires seem complete but you never know with old BMC stuff lol.

I had a mitsi that had a fuckered HT lead, and the spark would intermittently escape from under the boot and doort down the side of the cap.

Could be that if your HT leads are too high resistance, adding your hand to the equation makes the jump from cap to base all that much easier.

Although this has never happened to me before, is there any reason I should have got a zap from the dizzy body of Nikis Austin while adjusting the timing?

I didn't touch the leads, I'm not an idiot lol.

Cap is newish, leads seem good and are fairly newish also.

Engine developed a miss on test drive tho....... I had got the zap before the test drive.

Chances of spark earthing out inside the dizzy? Earth wires seem complete but you never know with old BMC stuff lol.

how big a spark?  If it was low tension side just need to clean around the dizzy or add am extra wire for earthing.

it occurred to me while doing the dishes this had started happening on the way up to Napier before the crank broke in half.....

hmmm...... ok, few things to try. Might swap over with dizzy from spare engine with new hardware in it and see if there is an improvement

• Like 2