Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

i like all of this. also, i should post some pics of bubbling setups at work. they look like shit from the movies, all twisty pipes and spirals and bubbles

how bout i fill a villiers tank with argon, WOT and blow co2 down the throat..? the resulting gas mix will be unburnt and clad in tweed.

• Like 3

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I was fucking around trying to fix my silly 110 and then the welder decided it didn't want to weld anymore. If you try it just very lightly sparks the wire against anything, be it the earth clamp or whatever and doesn't have enough power/connection (I guess) to even melt the wire.

Where should I be looking to remedy this?

Usually when the leads are failing they get super hot and eventually melt through with a crack and sizzle. Obvious with a tig but maybe while mig welding you may not notice.

Only tiny sparks sounds like there's as good as no earth circuit.

I did this one the other day. Gave me a good fright

FB_STICKERS_20150314_114023_142628647772

To what end? It's feeding wire fine, it keeps pumping it out just whatever that wire contacts is like a weak as shit sparkler. I checked the plug and clamp end of the earth cable but I'll double check the clamp again tomorrow. I have a feeling I have to go inside the thing... or buy another.

1st thing earth clamp as said, including the connection at the welder end of the cable inside of the welder.

second is the trigger button although the wire feed is working so less likely.

then welder end of the button circuit. 

maybe check the power cord too if you went hard at some point and its got a shit codr it could be cooked or you had it next to one of your lines at some point and accidentally cut the insulation

then after that something be fritz in the magic smoke containing parts and you need a bearded sparky

It's just been buzzing panel steel at fuck-all amperage and not laying beads, just tacks. So really, it's been pretty lightly used by all accounts. Anyway, as per the spam thread, I took it apart and then twiddled with things and it started working again only after I maxed out the amperage but then I could dial it down again after that. So.. at the moment it's OK. Or at least it was the last time I used it. Will find out again this week/end.

• Like 2

Is this the right thread to ask about what to do if someone loaded a trailer with too much and bent the axle?  Round mild steel tube. Not keen on flipping the axle and loading up the weight to see if the camber corrects itself nor fitting spacers and pretending it's supposed to be that way.   A press and some beefy channel maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Genuine question - why do people refer to Schedule 40/80 etc when you could just say I need 8 x 70mm lengths of 40mm ID and 6mm wall.

Oh man. In anti-ASME China, they do this. It's so frustrating. All the pipes are like 63x4.55 mm but the fittings are still DN50 Sch 40 etc so it's so hard to know at a glance if they match.
  • Like 2

chur.

lolo every bit of advice i get is a polar opposite to the last, guess i stop when the daisy runs out of petals and that's the verdict

speno, was just wondering if anybody can see i'm doing something silly in thinking i get half the amount of gas with a CO2 fill than i do with argoshield.

here in welly, care of supagas, co2 fill $50 plus gst

argoshield $120 plus

if someones gona tell me 'thats too expensive jees mate what are you up to' try getting an owner bottle filled in Wgtn with no hookups and see how you go. yes, i have been raging over this. the supagas dealer changes quicker than i can use a bottle of gas!

Has the price of Argon plummeted in the last year or so? Allegedly they can make it in NZ now, whereas it previously had to be imported.

• 4 weeks later...

tube benders

jmr model 32

pro tools 105

JD2 model 3

m-tech knockoffs of model 3 and 32

IMG_5685_resize.JPG

keen, even look simple enough to copy if you could be bothered, which i cannot

die sets fro these things are spendy. cardwells do 105 dies for $500 each on the old TM, gah

m-tech seem to do the cheaper die sets at like $150 US but posting solid steel to NZ may not be very efficient etc

anyone had experience with these types of benders, or found part/die suppliers in NZ and so on?

GO!

Has the price of Argon plummeted in the last year or so? Allegedly they can make it in NZ now, whereas it previously had to be imported.

yep just had my bottle filled, argon is cheaper than shield gas!

d size argon on our work account at BOC is like $40