Vintage Grumble

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I need a bit of info kids, the internet has failed me/I failed the internet. With this here new fancy turbo thing, it has a few different banjo fittings, with different sized oil restrictor holes. How does one work out what size restrictor to use? Does it have something to do with it being ball bearing or bush spec? I have no idea, and can't find any info on it relating to this engine/turbo.

Any help would be awesome.

Regards, VG. 

There is a key point in that link that needs to be reiterated.

IF you have a sweet drain system (16mm+ id plus with minimal restrictions) then you may not need any form of restriction. But an orifice of sorts can be a good idea when you drain back is not max diameter spec. Just not tiny restrictor like a bb turbo needs.

• 2 weeks later...

I dun made the exhaust. 3" pipe with one hot dog, and one off set chambered resonator. The front section was as tight as your mum 30 years ago, as the pipe had to fit between the chassis and the torsion bar, but ol VG jammed it in there nicely. I also remade the down pipe, as the china spec one was way to tight of an angle, so just used the flange off it and bashed the shit out of the pipe till it was the stupid shape it needed to be. One step closer to completion.

IMG_20141220_123344948_zps9280fc5c.jpg

IMG_20141222_141949679_HDR_zps3e5ba40a.j

IMG_20141222_142024301_HDR_zps2b3e6ed8.j

Regards, VG.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

WELL THINGS WERE GOING SWIMMINGLY, until I went to address one on my last problems. When the muppet's mounted the engine and gear box, they sat it too low, and the gear box sits on the sway bar. I thought I could just put spacers between the saddle and chassis and space the sway bar down a bit, but it turns out I cant go any more than about 6mm, as the sway bar then hits the torsion bars, gah. With the gear box as high as it can go, and 6mm spacers under the engine mounts, it has enough height clearance, but the engine/box needs to go forward like 5mm, which should be doable with a bit of hole slotting or some shiz? 

Pic is with box hard up, and engine spaced up 6mm, still needs to go forward.

IMG_20150111_162854976_zpsec24229b.jpg

IMG_20150111_162940905_zpscb432eab.jpg

When I was thinking about the sway bar, I suddenly realized that the gearbox mount/mounting is less that desirable. Obviously the engine is mounted to the chassis, but they have mounted the box to the floor of the cab. Its kind of grotty to have the box mounted to the floor of the cab, and I assume the cert man wont be a fan, so I need to remount it to the hilux cross member. There looks to be a mounting point further back on the box, which is rite above the cross member, so that will be rippa, as long as its an acceptable mounting point.

The mounting point in question is to the rite of the existing mount, should be ok eh?

IMG_20150111_162803142_zpsc3ca1881.jpg

Thoughts on these problems? 

Retards, VG.

Yeh, I don't have much choice I guess. I can't reuse the mount that's there, but hope I can use a modified hilux one. Also, I assume they wouldn't cast that rear mounting point if it wasn't strong enough to support the weight, so should be good to go.

Supporting the physical weight may not be a problem but you also want that mount to be taking some of the torque reaction otherwise the engine mounts will take an extra beating.