VG's Gross Hilux SR5 (+15)

Vintage Grumble

Those Kinugawa units are ok, they seem to make reasonable power but when compared to a factory unit they tend to be a bit laggier (my own generalisation), not sure if it's poor quality castings or turbine blade design, but yeah for the money worth a punt if you can't or rebuild a genuine OEM turbo.  

Suggest the post above from corolla GT needs to consider fuel type (as he does outline), ~ 300kw is VERY impressive for a TD05 on 20 Psi, these results would not be typical or anywhere near achieveable on pump gas.

My reference here is the mitsubishi evo 4+ 20G kinugawa unit vs a 20g evo 9 based unit (with poverty spec cast comp wheel)

• Like 1

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, 300kw is pretty decent, i'm not so worried about the output, just want something that will last a while. In saying that, the factory turbo is only good for 15psi/250hp atw, so the kinugawa should be a good replacement/upgrade. You may be getting a bit of lag due to it being a 20g, from what i've read the 16g comes in earlier, and responds better, even better than the factory T28, on an sr20.

Rookie will be semi proud of me, i'm buying an ali express spec manifold and down pipe, jher.

Where do you want to make your power in the rev range?

16G spools pretty early and hard - you wouldnt lose much going to an 18G in real world though.

Get in touch with Steve Murch and get a modded TD05 -18G maybe?

If you want reponse just get a TD05 16G then.

Make 200kw atw all day on a subbie so prob even more on yours with less drivetrain loss.

Sorry my turbo experience is exclusively with 4wd subbies - 16G spooled hard @ 3k rpm and the 20G was at like 3.5k rpm but obviously had more ceiling.

To be honest you are probably better off spending time and money on airflow and making the smoothest piping and shortest route for your intercooler/turbo etc - if response is most important

• Like 1

lowl. i has an RB aliexpress fannymold sitting here at work. 

such a lol design and more bent than a $9 note

A mate brought a nice shiny China-spec stainless manifold for his 2JayZee. Nicely made, tidy welds etc... then they did a magnet test and found while the runners were stainless steel the flange wasn't

• Like 1

I know the discussion is currently on flurbos and blowie values but lets be real, the big issue here was quietly mentioned a few pages back and no one said anything... disappointing.

I also decided, to cut down on costs, to run the 17's its already on, so will probably get it certed on them. 

Mean.

Regards, VG.

VG i want you to have my 14" cragar steelies for this for the low low price of 100 south pacific pesos just so I can sleep easy knowing you aren't rolling around the 'tane on scummy 17's like it was two thousand and five just livin your la vida loca.

Do it man.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...