VG's Gross Hilux SR5 (+15)

Vintage Grumble

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see it being a thing if you had to pass emissions tests?

this.

when we cert an engine swap we have to check the emission side of things

if its efi, it has to have all the things it had when it was in the factory application, ie check light, oxy sensor, TPS, etc etc

aftermarket ecu just has to have whatever its designed to have

carb just has to run right

• Like 1

I had a smilar experience with my recheck. I drove mine up from wellington to levin for the recheck (which he realised when I arrived) and was like good drive? with a grin on his face.

Asked me what Id done to sort out the issues and basically said sweet, good to go!

So how is it to drive, etc.  

Can't wait to sell for RZ money or keeps for a while?

It has all the vagueness of a 400000K hilux, mixed with the power and turbo noises of a mildly tickled up Silvia, so pretty grotty all round really. It gets a lot more grip than I expected, but it does have 235's on the back, and the turbo dosen't come in until 4Kish, so guess thats about rite. I'll keep it for a while and see how I like it, i've probably only driven it 80km so far, lewlz.

So the flying pink pussywagon is legal??!!

does it go hard as?

Once the plates on, its good to go. Its not silly fast, but faster than a near standard Hilux should be.

Sell sell sell.

Gee, settle down, its not even legit yet. Also, even if I got real good money for it, i'd still be $14K short of a decent RZ, so i'll have to keep dreaming for a while/COME ON MILL MONEY.

Straight swaps matte black altezza

Chuck in your bro's 85 and you got a deal/the wife will kill me.

• 1 month later...

So, two months ago, this passed cert. I waited and waited for the phone call from the cert man, to say come and get it, but it never happened. I rang him around the 6 week mark, and he said the plate would be there soon. Rang again at the 8 week mark, and didn't get much sense out of him, but he reckoned it should be in his workshop. Rang just now and he had a look for the plate, and its a bingo, its there!

BUT THEN DRAMA, he says "There's a chassis number discrepancy" I shit my pants, and the racist in me thinks *You got this from a young Maori fulla from Kawerau, its probably stolen*

But then I find out, its as simple as the chassis number being recorded incorrectly when it was registered in NZ. THANK FUCK FOR THAT. It may be the only YN7 hilux in the world?

So i'm taking it to TGA in the morning to get the plate stuck on, then I just have to fill out a form, get VTNZ to OK the change of number in the system, and shes all go/skids on.

SO CLOSE I CAN TASTE THE GROT.

Haven't worked out the cause yet, but this, the main engine fuse, is not so happy.

IMG_20151105_180435245_zpsgotaotgd.jpg

IMG_20151105_180528414_zpsclgnhu3z.jpg

I'll have to get someone that knows more about the magic of electricity to have a look, as the cause of the problem is not super apparent.

It broke down so close to the cert mans workshop, we carried on there, and the cert plate is now attached. 

Baby steps.

• Like 2