VG's Gross Hilux SR5 (+15)

Vintage Grumble

Of my 39 item "to do/get" list, i've crossed off 9 items.

Thanks to my bro-in-law, the Toyota rev counter now works off the Nissan ECU, he added in one component, reversed another, and changed two. I also put the poost gauge line on the correct side of the throttle plate, and now it vacs. The new speedo cable is in, and I also managed to get the dash lights working.

IMG_20141013_102225925_zps686a2ed7.jpg

A guy I work with has changed from a well side, to a flat deck, so I scored his tail gate, its in much better condition than mine,

old:

IMG_20141011_144758461_zpsf3748b8d.jpg

New:

IMG_20141011_144910919_zps3fed47fa.jpg

The original doors are rusty as buggery, here's a small sample of said rust:

IMG_20141012_095648738_zpseb3e6de3.jpg

So the old owner gave me another set. They are completely free of rust, but are pink (over green) had vinyl glued to the top of them, shaved door handles, and holes for "poper's". So on each door I had to get rid of the vinyl/glue, weld up the poper hole, grind out all the bog that covered the door handle hole, re-bog/shape and primer, and then refit to the ute. 

IMG_20141011_144930899_zps3cede2cc.jpg

I've also whipped out the lowering blocks, they were the good old 50mm block, but with an added 10mm thick bit of steel. I've chucked away the steel bit, and have machined 15mm off the blocks, so it should sit 25mm higher than before, with around 40mm of bump stop clearance. I may have to go higher yet. Once the backs set, i'll match the front to that height. 

IMG_20141011_144820799_HDR_zpsa78340c7.j

The other thing I did, whilst having a cuppa, was polish the front bumper, and change the clear bumper lights for std amber spec ones.

Half way through:

IMG_20141014_110230713_zpse69f0f29.jpg

CHA-BLING:

IMG_20141014_112801980_zpsf580d71f.jpg

Look at all that chrome, pretty sure this thing is Oldschool as.

One thing I noticed today, that I had to add to my list, was that I need to run a fuel line. The guys who slapped this together have run a rubber line all the way from the tank to the engine.

Today's next mission in drive shaft hoops. Neat.

Regards, VG.

• Like 4

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahoy hoy. I've ticked a few more things off the list over the last few days.

Went for a wonder round the local wreckers and found a set of rear head rests, plus a generic looking washer bottle, which I had to fit in a silly place due to IC piping. Made a super hory bracket for the washer bottle, in keeping with the theme. Exciting shit I know.

IMG_20141015_155917611_zps2fae7354.jpg

IMG_20141015_155819221_HDR_zps625506ce.j

I also replaced all the rear suspension bushes for good measure. Nail biting.

IMG_20141015_155859194_zps7fda794d.jpg

And as if that didn't have you on the edge of your seat, I also finished the drive shaft hoops!

IMG_20141016_180626151_HDR_zps97f12e8e.j

This morning I set about re-doing two of the seat mount bolts, as they were a bit too hory, but got side tracked and removed this stunning exhaust system.

IMG_20141017_113634390_zps9bc557ae.jpg

Its a pretty grotty 2 1/2 set up, so i'm going to go to a 3" system with a couple of nice resonators. After removing this, I fingered the turbos bum hole, and discovered that its wankered. Soooo much play going on in there. A rebuild kit is only like $100, so will whip it out and make sure its still in good enough nick to rebuild. This development explains the smoke when its been idling for ages, and probably why the poost come's in so late.

So the only major things left to do are: Build exhaust, run steel fuel line, have pillar rust removed, rewire fuel pump, and now rebuild the turbo. Then is should be good to go and fail its cert.

Regards, VG.

• Like 1

ball bearing T28 from an S15?

Should be good for what you want - from memory you aint gonna be chasing ponies?

I thought that's what I had? Well mines S14/180sx, but pretty sure its a b/b T28? Yeh, don't think i'd ever want huge power, but the option to go up later would be nice.

I was just looking at those, so much cheap shiney stuffs. 

Shall find out what chur'bro mate runs on his S14 circuit car. It's one of those Kinugawa turbos. Similar size to a TD05 iirc. Comes on boost nicely etc. On E85 was good enough for 300rwkw at about 20psi on an internally stock SR20DET.

edit

Thought I'd update this thread for interests sake - A mates car S14 track car has been running a Kando Dynamics/Kinugawa TD05 16G for a while now... and it has been going awesome, no smoking or anything weird to suggest its going to have problems and response is very impressive. The car normally runs 16psi-17psi on the track, which is more than enough for it and it's just a stock motor, so don't want to push it too hard - but the owner decided to take it for a few runs at Masterton and so we went out and tweaked together a bit of a 20psi 'hero' tune.

The thing ended up trapping near 120mph, which is pretty decent going - so he decided to get a couple of power runs down on R's garage's (ex-Shred) dynapack to see what it's making... result was just over 270rwkw on it's ~17psi track boost level, and just under 300rwkw on 20psi. Full boost reached at about 3500rpm, and making over 200rwkw by 4000rpm - not bad for a $900 turbo on a stock 2litre engine, I reckon icon_smile.gif
Clip of dyno run here:

Out of interest, the car runs flex fuel so had around 80% ethanol at the time of the dyno run - but on that note, we also ran out of injector... so couldn't go any higher in boost if we wanted to, so not too sure how much more the turbo would have given but it's fair to say 300kw @ wheels with that kind of response makes for a pretty impressive setup, even not considering the price.
  • Like 2

^ that's bloody rippa. That's the brand i'm leaning toward, sounds like they are very good for the price. Sounds like the TD05 16G would be the way to go for me also, seems to be the smallest bolt on one they do.

Edit: you don't happen to know if he went with the 9 or 12 blade turbine wheel do you?

This is dumb.

Put a factory turbo on it and go do skids in the 86

That's basically what i'm doing darl, just don't see the point in paying $5-600 for a second hand turbo that's likely poked, when I can get a good quality new one, that's good for future upgrades (if I chose to do any) for a few hundy more. This thing ain't no 86 replacement.

There's a disco on the tard for about $600

You may have to show me a link, I can't find it. Why does everyone foam over the disco potato ones anyhows?