steelies' box house

Steelies

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I think some of you need to go back through the thread and look at the photos - the driveway isn't a wee strip in the middle of a nice flat verge. It's cut into the hill, there are retained banks on either side.

Lets re-cap what we know:

The road is narrow

The driveway is narrow

The container cannot be turned sideways to get up the driveway because it is significantly longer than the road is wide, and the bank on the other side is high, and steep.

The container cannot be pulled over the property using any form of pully system/slave set up, because the front of the section is retained banks, not a flat verge.

The container has been painted and lined, so it cannot be cut into pieces and welded insitu

The container is 40 ft long, so it cannot be lifted perpendicular the driveway and lifted over the banks by a single forklift

There are powerlines across the top of the driveway

The container cannot be picked up and slid under the powerlines end first because it's 40 ft long and that would require even more cranes than just picking it up normally and craning it over.

It needs to be craned into place. This is a given. The issue is that the road is narrow and will need to be closed to allow the crane to operate. Getting a full road closure permit is potentially difficult.

But I think you should be ok.

You'll just have to have a decent traffic management plan, a really good job plan, and there will probably be requirement for letting your neighbours know/protest it etc etc.

As a general rule, the council isn't out to stop progress. They like progress. The more you up-value your property, the more they can charge you in rates. But they do like to make things quite difficult. Because bureaucracy/there's always going to be someone who complains.

• Like 2

Manu I spoke to Todd G in weekend, he said give him a bell during work hours if your after some recomendations for operators, he can pass on numbers etc from his work comp. He also had good understanding of what needs doing for road closers. costs and all that stuff from a few jobs he has done recently if you need advice on that stuff too.  

Slurp

• Like 1

ok giz a week, i'll be at wagnats till sunday haha.

had good yarns with builders /our mates chipmonk and clint this morning. footings with steel plates being poured tomorrow (while i'm getting tweaked in a campground). I'm biting my nails a bit as there are only certain spots on the containers lower side rails that have been modified for welding down to footings. amongst all the engineer's drawings that dont really help and all the IRL things that differ to plan (see below) it'll be interesting to see if whats on the ground matches well enough with what's on the box. 

the lower side rails were drawn like the side of a box, but they're a channel section facing outwards, so in order to make the engineers ideas work the channel had to be boxed in the spots where it sits on the footing plates. i should have got these boxed sections made to excessive length but it was a last minute request and once i'd realised what was going on i hadn't thought quick enough.

yeah my boss said use a buttload of tek screws too. hhmm

Russel thanks for talking to Todd when i'm back in the hood i'll give him a bell. not sure if i'm looking forward to next week or not haha

Traffic management plan? Meh, just 3am it! 

Did that once putting signs up on Queen St - completely blocked one side of the road for a few hours. 

Have also done this multiple times on demolition jobs, use two totally unqualified idiots with lollipops, a couple of cones, and make sure you have at least one or two important looking guys with shirts and spotless clean high-vis vests for that "official" touch...

• Like 3