Die grinders air vs. electric

vivaspeed

Hi all,

Interested to know people's opinions and experiences with different types of die grinders. 

I want to get a die grinder, it's on my wishlist, and now I have a job to do that needs one.  My compressor is only a baby (2hp) which I really only use for pumping up tyres, air duster and rattle gun.  Don't think it would be up to the job of running a die grinder.  I would also go insane with the noise the thing makes.  I can't justify a bigger compressor - I would want a grunter if I upgraded which would blow the budget...

Most of what I would use it for is on steel, not ali/alloy - so would need to have some grunt and handle a fair load.

I was thinking about electric die grinders, like the ones Hitachi make, and was interested to know if anyone has used one / got one / etc?

002e30f2fb12b24f480122812d6e87cf.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I think that might be your problem- every one I've seen has been huge and heavy.

But if you have to be electric-

You need variable speed control and a 3 foot ( or greater) flexi shaft.

I have a long spindle pneumatic cheapie off trademe- I changed some things and it now does 27,000 rpm if the air lines can supply it :-) when stock it did a limp 16,000. The problem is it gets COLD and its unbearably loud with no tq. But that's what you get for $15 haha.

Still; it's always done what is needed.

I bought a dremmel for myself for Xmas a couple of years ago. It's quite nice, but it only has a 1/8th chuck.

I also have the use of a pneumatic one with a 1/4 chuck, but it consumes so much air that I have to stop every 25 seconds to let the compressor catch up.

I have a big 3hp compressor (big for single phase anyway) and that won't keep up with my die grinders (have normal size and smaller right angle one)

Works well though! But for small things (like 5mm steel plate) I still pull out the dremel with a small die grinder bit in it. Dremels are amazing! I have the 3000 but wish I splashed out for the 4000. 3000 is just so darn cheap!

Though I really want to try putting a reg on my compressor to see if it becomes more regular and lasts a bit longer maybe when using air tools...

No regulator on cheapnese air tools? They aren't even dear man, sort that out lol. I just run two lines, one off the reg ~90PSI, and one unregulated.

Have used air die grinder and dremel, nothing commercial spec. If you're not wanting to upgrade the compressor then you only really have the one option. Electric is probably quieter overall as the air compressor will run full time even if it's decent. Not a quiet tool to use anyway, so noise is going to be annoying no matter which road you take. Only downside to the electric is the size as mentioned. What are the electric ones worth? You may pick up a 2nd hand compressor to run alongside your current one for less $$.

• Like 1

I've got an air grinder (chinese style) and I don't find it overly fabulous. Might be the stones, or the fact that grinding steel is a slow process.

For electric, I think a flexible shaft grinder would be the way to go. DuMore is the 'classic' brand (I kick myself for missing bidding on a couple at Dunbar Sloane last year) but there are knock-off version available.

14996-A.jpg

On single phase power you won't be able to run a die grinder continuously so electric it is. Well unless you run a couple compressors or shell out for a dual pump/motor job. The biggest 15a single phase 3.5hp compressors can't keep up with continuous use tools like die grinders and sanders.

• Like 1

I've got an electric variable speed Makita which I've found pretty good. Very powerful and it gets a bit hot if you're using it for long periods of time. If you're using it for porting you can just use long shank bits to get in real deep. I also have a dremel but as mentioned above the chuck size is limiting. I've found pneumatic ones too hard to control the rpm because they use so much air. So if you need good rpm control I'd go electric. If you're using flapper wheels and things like that they will have a max and optimum rpm rating on them so that's something to consider. Depends on what you're using it for. 

• Like 1

i find electric ones shit for tricky stuff. too heavy and too powerful. like if your "slotting" out a hole and you chatter so it jumps around in the hole they just get out of control real quick haha. 

but as said a descent die grinder will use a  shit tonne of air to keep running. so if you cant supply enough i would go electric, but one on a flex.

i find electric ones shit for tricky stuff. too heavy and too powerful. like if your "slotting" out a hole and you chatter so it jumps around in the hole they just get out of control real quick haha.

but as said a descent die grinder will use a shit tonne of air to keep running. so if you cant supply enough i would go electric, but one on a flex.[/quote

Haha so funny when trying to nicely shape a hole with carbide bur and it jumps out then goes round and round the hole about 20 times before you can get it out... Then spend ages tidying mess by hand

• Like 1

but as said a descent die grinder will use a shit tonne of air to keep running. so if you cant supply enough i would go electric, but one on a flex.[/quote

Haha so funny when trying to nicely shape a hole with carbide bur and it jumps out then goes round and round the hole about 20 times before you can get it out... Then spend ages tidying mess by hand

yea with a air die grinder its like 5 times and its on average 100 times with an electric one a

That looks interesting - googled it and there are a few alternatives along those lines.

Also Markku - what kind of deal can you do me on an electric die grinder (who are you working for?  Makita?)

Awesome idea, but nearly fell over with the price I priced that up

Thanks for your enquiry

The price for  MULTI-MAX FLEXIBLE SHAFT M6 is: $620.00+GST

Delivery within 14Working days from payment date

THanks

Ziv Adni

T.G.A International Ltd.