Die grinders air vs. electric

vivaspeed

Fuck even with a big tank 2hp is shit, Sam had a 100l tank and 3.5hp (15amp as big as you can go with one motor) compressor here and you would run out of air all the time cleaning up welds etc. The air usage is simply more than the free air delivery of single phase compressors, if you like waiting and having a hot as fuck compressor this is great.

• Like 2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

regards to that hitachi one my mate has one and ive borrowed it on several occasions. Its pretty angry and all or nothing but does the job alright. But ya watch out or it will catch ya out, need a very firm grip with two hands as it has heaps of tourqe and will just about break ya wrist if not careful. It is quite big and bulky when wanting to do finiky stuff, personally i prefer a good pneumatic one

15A plug will run around 3.5hp, a 15A plug has suitably sized breakers and cable, if its setup correctly and your fuse box and house supply is legit there is no reason you can't run two 15A motors. You can get 20A and bigger single phase plugs also.

Oh a decent twin motor setup staggers the motor startup also.

Awesome ideas and discussion on this - thanks!

On a domestic setup, power points are on a 2.5mm cable which is good for around 20A, and on modern installations they usually have a 20A MCB supplying each circuit (but bare in mind this also supplies other stuff you're using...).  Standard 3 pin outlets are only 10A rated though.

In my old workshop I had a few 15A outlets for welders and big motors on their own circuit each.  Sadly I don't have that at my current place.  To go larger than 15A you get into a non-standard plug type usually.

565_main_image.jpg

And yes, MCB should blow before the wiring melts - that's why it's called protection...

Big problem with the little compressors is the horrendous high pitched noise they make.  (yes I know the die grinder itself makes noise, but not the same...).  Bigger belt drive compressers are far more bearable.

A diesel compressor would be excellent,

Like this -> http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/compressors-pumps/compressors/auction-626165915.htm

or park this in my driveway.  Would create a sweet noise, filthy up the neighbour's washing, scare children and prevent bible-type people approaching the house.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/compressors-pumps/compressors/auction-626539280.htm

I built one up from an electric compressor and just use an unloader valve from an early Mercedes truck. works like a champ. some people just run them with a pressure relief valve which is dodgey as and your compressor head wont last like that.

tyre fleet trucks etc usually have an unloader with a pilot valve. when it unloads, it drops the engine back to a slow idle. when it kicks back in again it opens the throttle up and increases the revs etc. called a strangler system afaik

mine just runs at a constant rpm. cheap and cheerful. hah.

tbh I wouldn't mind a single cylinder diesel engine and strangler setup on mine, but I only had to pay for a belt and pulley for the engine to build mine so I can't complain. I only use it hen I need air and can't get to a power source. bro uses it on breakdowns and shit now and then too. handy as.

mine's not really any louder than my 2hp direct drive mains one. could make it quieter with a batter muffler etc but that'd make it more cumbersome.

Been keeping my eyes out for a cheeeeap 3ph rotary screw compressor (piston comp. heads are usually the noisey bit) that I can repower with a small watercooled diesel and build into a soundproof enclosure.