economical engine for my viva- suggestions/advice please...

yoeddynz

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly I don't think my budget would allow a sierra cosworth lump. I think even the duratec engines are a tad pricey to buy and then there is the g/box- if type 9 I would want the 2.8 Capri box with its higher 1,2,3. I had one of them for the viva when it had the cross flow. I had shortened the first motion shaft to suit and then sold it.

Looked into the vw engines but which rwd box? Or use adaptor?

Im still very keen on the v6 and hopefully might score a really cheap one to play with. Otherwise a turbo'd 1.8

I like the idea of a sierra sapphire DOHC motor. cheap, strong & plenty of grunt.

Heavy and share nothing in common with the cosworth or pinto. Also a right bitch to get parts for, not to mention no tuning potential in them

Yeah the I4 is even worse than the pinto! :lol:

Also Sapphire was just the name for the Sierra sedan, had nothing to do with the engine.

It's the sound of these engines I'm liking the idea of too.

I like this video- the young aussie fella who did this conversion has been installing this engine on a budget with all the work done himself including making the adaptor ring from thick alloy plate which he did the old drill many holes and connect the dots to cut it out. Budget! Top work.

He had not yet secured his home made inlet plenum- see what

I almost bought a complete mazda mx6 today- cheap but reg on hold and no wof. I decided not to risk it and instead continued looking for a cheap engine by itself.

Half an hour later, after I had gotten off the phone to tell the fella in chch I wasn't going to buy his mx6, I found this bargain on trademe ending 2 hours later....

http://www.trademe.c...px?id=521174964

Which I have just bought. Its a K8 1.8 but I think being a Jap import it'll be the 144bhp ZE model plus it has all the parts I need to start with. At $200 its worth the punt. I'll just tow it to my parents and start striping it down next weekend. Very chuffed. Looking at a cheap KF 2.0L elsewhere too- again a JDM model with 160bhp. Hopefully I'll score that too.

So for now this looks like the way I'll go. I am in no rush to pull the rotary out- instead I'll borrow a friends rx7 box and start making an adaptor plate to suit and any other bits that need sorting out.

I'll now continue this engine swap in my Viva thread.

I can 'manipulate' the servo brackets and shift it sideways another 30mm anyhow.

I approve of this method. Top tip though, if you 'manipulate' it far enough over, you should run a brace over to the inner guard to hold it in place because it will try to revert back to original alignment under braking and rub against the engine.

I speak from experience.

I got rid of the servo in the current setup and use a dual circuit Nissan master cylinder - awesome for engine clearance, and developing leg muscles...

Supercharged A15. that is all.

Oh you would wouldn't you. its in the water I tell you...

Simon- that little engine sounds wicked- gonna look it up now. I'm guessing expensive though as quite late model?

Geoff- good plan on brace. In fact a brace in front of master cylinder could help the slight flex that gives a softer pedal feel. Or strengthen the bulkhead like magnum fella has done.

I'm excited at least about pulling this V6 from the eunos and checking it out- really glad I got the car so cheap! can probably make some money back by selling the manual box etc

Geoff- good plan on brace. In fact a brace in front of master cylinder could help the slight flex that gives a softer pedal feel. Or strengthen the bulkhead like magnum fella has done.
Chevettes have this brace and it seems to help. I changed from the original master to one from a Piazza that didn't allow for the bracket and it did introduce a little bit of flex in the firewall.
I'm excited at least about pulling this V6 from the eunos and checking it out- really glad I got the car so cheap! can probably make some money back by selling the manual box etc

I just came here to say how awesome it is that you are pursuing the v6 option. It's going to be very cool if it all comes together.

Billy! You need to get that chap on os and put up a project thread if you know him, that is a hell of a car!

I'm stoked for the V6 idea too, I have been a fan of the KF-ZE/KL-ZE for a while, a friend of mine had a Lantis with a stropped up KL-ZE in it that was a fantastic drive... and the noise it made was something else.