economical engine for my viva- suggestions/advice please...

yoeddynz

Brad- 5.4L/100km = 52 mpg. Thats pretty bloody good. Yours was the ecotech right? Better than the XE for economy?
It's very good aye. Yeah, my chevette motor was ecotec. It will be better for ecomony as it is a torquey low-mid range engine with small ports and a conservative cam. The XE powered cars were also very economical, but as these cars were late 80's - mid 90's they were much lighter than the safer yet heavier cars the ecotec powered from the mid 90's ongoing. An XE doesn't make much sense for what you want compared to the ecotec, as if something goes wrong with an XE it can get expensive and difficult to get parts to fix. An ecotec - slap another motor in there from pickapart or similar for $300 haha (that's what my motor cost at least)

They are all iron block, but I've come to realise this doesn't mean a huge deal on the overall weight of any engine. It might make 10kg difference, but in the scheme of things an engine block doesn't weigh much when you lift it bare.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex,

Clearly spending time in the northern hemisphere has somehow affected your judgement.

Leave this one alone and buy a tiny economical car! All up reg/wof/insurance on another car would only be $500 a year so not a big deal really.

In my completely un-biassed opinion, 4AGE is the only way to go, light, powerful, economical. You can make them fit nicely in an HB without any structural mods. Mine has the firewall chop because I was going to run 20 valve and I set it back quite a distance, you wouldn't need to do that.

In more practical terms, a 16V 4AGE is quite old now, getting RWD bits is getting harder and gearboxes seem expensive. You could get a Mazda B-series RWD motor (ex-MX5) or a Nissan CA18 / SR20 which are meant to be RWD and parts seems plentiful (not to mention a lot of tuning bits around).

If you do swap engine, then sell me the rotary setup thanks ta. I have plenty of spare Vivas to install it in.

ill swap you a 2l pinto with 5speed for ya 12a? lol 500km from 45l...not bad for a 32 year old engiine
id put a 4age into the tina but its just a bit small for it....cheap to buy/fit/run....theyr a good choice
better off walking,thatll be a good way to lose all enjoyment of driving it having such a slow slug in it.

Agreed.

A BEAMS 3S-GE would be very difficult to fit into the front of a Viva because they are such a tall engine. I'd go so far as to say it won't fit in there if you want it at a decent ride height. The 3S-FE is a good suggestion for what you're after. You could liven it up with a new set of cams, or even put a nice little turbo/supercharger setup on it if you did want a bit more punch with minimal increase in consumption.

It's getting harder and harder to get smaller 4-cyl RWD engines that suit conversions.

I liked my factory injected 4AGE Morris, if it fits in a Morrie, then should be easy in a Viva, but as noted above the RWD aspect of the 4AGE is getting more complicated and expensive.

How about a Zetec, they seem to more convertible to RWD, and are more current I think.

How tall is a 3SGE?

I went and measured my engine bay and it's approx 620mm from the crossmember to the top of the aircleaner in the 1159 HB Viva. I imagine the aircleaner is a bit off the bonnet so there is quite a bit of room to play with.

Problem is the rack sits in front of the crossmember so you'll either need to mount something quite forward, or best to either get a rear sump motor or make a custom / modified sump.

Measured a 4AGE I had lying around and it's just under 500mm tall (measurements were a bit wonky due to placement of engine amongst pile of crap :lol: ). 4AGE is a good choice for weight, size, balance etc.

Could be quite "top heavy" though if you go for a tall engine, rotary is nice and low centre of G.

Not sure if it's been said on here yet but Datsun A-series fit really well...

Umm, I think the economy part of the argument has been forgotten.

I would consider duratec of the smaller capacities, or a 1.4 K series Rover. Heaps of power from both, legendary economy, plenty of RWD adaptor bits available ex UK. Also the K series must be the lightest 4 cylinder not from a motorbike.