economical engine for my viva- suggestions/advice please...

yoeddynz

Diesel: Could use a 2.0l turbo from a mazda bongo or ford econovan already rwd!

v6: Could use the ford duratec v6 rwd parts ex uk and us

SR family: FWD cant bolt to rwd gearbox although the neovvt (VE) heads can be adapted to the rwd block and have been pretty well documented

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you go diesel just import a pranged/rotten ~10 year old lush mobile from the UK or something.

would be amazing. half of those type of mobiles would have peppier, lighter, more amazing engines than many of the petrol options that were suggested.

the wee v6 sounds like a good option, though. I think jokers in the UK use type9 sierra boxes behind them or something?

Many people with mx5's are using an adaptor plate between the mx5 box and the engine. A 1.8 mx5 clutch bolts straight onto the flywheel.

I think biggest drama is the inlet manifold- its too high for mx5 bonnet so they chop and weld them plus it needs to be changed to point forwards. I'm very keen on it- will do more research and measuring. They are cheap to run and rev really well plus sound awesome.

Diesel would be cool but more expensive, heavy, most are fwd. mainly though I still love petrol engines that rev well and sound nice when doing so.

The mention of any Holden motor that isn't a 179 in an old Holden at any stage should result in ban.

I think the V6 idea is a horrible one in my opinion, my opinion been just that.

Anyone suggested Suzuki Cappuccino motor yet? if fuel economy, power are the desired result. Why not do some lightening? reduce unsprung weight, Rolling mass, subtle streamlining and go for efficiency with the current motor.

Also can't pull the skin off a rice pudding

Define can't pull the skin off a rice pudding haha, its cheep to run and rugged, would probley go better than the Viva motor.

With all those extras, this mighty 1.2 litre made exactly 1 hp more than a Holden Starfire motor :lol:

Here's a couple of suggestions from the VW/Audi camp...

How about a 1.8T - 4-pot 20v turbo, common as dogshit with tons of aftermarket parts. 150hp stock, with buckets of torque... Audi versions are set up for North/South mounting.

Possibly a little heavy, but a 2.8/2.9/3.2 VR6 might fit the bill - plenty of grunt, readily available parts, compact (only 15° angle between the banks and one cylinder head) RWD mountable easily and not too thirsty, especially in such a light car. Oh and the noise... Your ears will love you for it!

$1k could get you a complete 20vT in perfect order with loom/ecu, add $50 or so for immo/cluster delete.

VR6's are dime a dozen since there seems to be a flood of auto ones with rooted boxes... Not entirely sure what RWD box is used for them, I know a guy in Napier has converted a urQ box to RWD only with no dodgy pissing around.

have chatted to a vw wrecker about these, after certing 2x golfs that had the vr6 engine biffed and the 1.8t put in its place. i was wondering why they went to a smaller engine, he didnt have much good to say about the vr6. or w8 engines either

1.8t is quite cheap, they have a piddly little turbo so they come on boost early, which makes them a good driver, quite torquey for a little engine

Yeah it would make it cheaper owhen just cruising but It's already got a pretty good ratio at 3.7:1. I think any higher and it would definitely lose its spark. I just have to face facts that no matter what you do with rotaries they will always be thirsty compared to most other engines. It's just a inefficient design. Mazda have certainly tried. Great for power, so simple and sweet and awesomely smooth but this car has pretty much turned from being a weekend toy to something we both want to use loads more. Plus If done right I could end up with more power then i have now but still much cheaper overall running.

Plus- and this is a biggy.. I really excited about an engine swap. I love the whole process and accept that it will take loads more time then I think and cost more too. But I love doing swaps. I could buy another car but then I have another car which just means more money spent in the long run and we can't really park another car where we live. Clutter. I like the idea of the viva evolving.

Agreed, blame our current government's stance on diesel tax and see why..

I think going modern Ford or FIAT multi valve engine is the go. Duratec or Sierra Saphire twin cam would be my choice. Plenty of Sierra Cosworth Viva's built up in the UK, seems not a hard swap, the non turbo motor is still tough as.

I see on Retro Rides the quad rotor is been suggested so that get's my final vote