Keltik's 02 Subaru Wagon

keltik

Yea my thoughts were if there is a spring in there, surely it can be replaced with one that is stiffer and has the same dimensions? sounds like you can.

As for lift you just get your massive cams made up then you may have to remove some range from your cam gear? thats what all the Honda lads do. Or be a hero test out piston clearances at various cam angles and make sure you don't use the range of motion that makes it go bang haha.

• Like 2

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

definatly can,

mates built a forged ez30r/dtech built it and yeah they put springs in so defiantly possible.

Brenton couldve bought a reasonable sized luxury country wine estate for the price of his motor.  So the argument "Brenton did it" can get fucked. :compress:

• Like 5

Wee bit of an upgrade happened.  I'd forgot i backordered this out of Australia like 3 months ago...then it turned up!

IMG_20131122_190706_0_zps671acb12.jpg

So i used my nice new Wayco floor jack that i couldnt resist purchasing and fitted it.  Was a piece of cake with a decent lifting device instead of a bottle jack and various pieces of wood.  Shouldve got one of these ages ago.

Not so much axle tramp in the back end now, the diff still behaves like a spoiled child throwing its toys out the cot occasionally....but its good enough for now.

The current fleet;

IMG_20131126_073551_0_zpsaf71cd73.jpg

Brenton couldve bought a reasonable sized luxury country wine estate for the price of his motor.  So the argument "Brenton did it" can get fucked. :compress:

This ^ made me laugh.

What's wrong with diff, bushes or dying from abuse?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Gonna give the LSD one more hoon on the track then i'ma swap it out for a viscous unit.

In other news, oil consumption is holding steady but the car is throwing out some decent blue clouds after engine braking.  Clubsub nats is in May so i'll be attending that and attempting to relive my engine of its conrods.

New block will shortly be in the shed.  I have acquired a complete 1st gen EZ30.  Have a few options on what to do with it;

1)  Remove heads, swap shortblock in with my better heads on it.  Low cost, relatively easy, no power gains but a much fresher block.

2)  Keep the old motor as a spare, slam a turbo on the new one with stock internals and see what happens.  Have seen others make an extremely drivable reliable 250wkw....which is regarded as the limit for a Subaru 5speed box.

3)  Keep the current engine going as long as possible and use the time to acquire turbo parts and some new rods n pistons.  Swap my good heads onto the new block and have an utterly monstrous demon motor capable of a drivetrain destroying reliable 450wkw.  Obviously this option has issues such as costing a lot more than id like it to and producing enough power to affect the rotation of the earth.  Also, without spending 3k on a 6 speed gearbox swap, I would need electroshock therapy to program some restraint into my brain.

Some other combination of forced induction, heads and blocks would also be doable.  I have no idea which way I want to go yet.  All I know is that my current engine has a finite lifespan that im approaching the end of.  Funny how its lasted around 200,000kms exactly the same as the first one.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Oil usage has come right again after a damned hard thrashing.  I believe the rings were getting gummed up with shit from just idling around town with no load on it.

Have re-listed the car for sale as a result.

• Like 1