KKtrips

Air bag suspension chat

3 hours ago, Unclejake said:

Have any of you driven a solid axle, leaf sprung vehicle that used bags to raise the suspension, and if so was the ride OK?

Yes, and hahahahahaha

No

But you can throw more trash in the back. If you load it enough that the bags are doing more work than the springs they go ok..

In your case however, best of a bad situation, I think you'll be fine. Once you pump the bags you'll be riding on them and the saggy leaves will simply be holding the axles in place so it'll probably be a substantial improvement. The vehicles I've dealt with have been farm hack rangers / patrols / landcruisers etc that have had them added, often on top of an already beefed up spring pack, so they can carry 2,000L diesel tanks or similar

• Like 1

Have had varying reports of owners liking and not liking air bag helper springs. Last guy I dealt with ended up taking them out and getting uprated leafs put in instead 

When you have a bag taking the load and the spring not doing much the axle can get a bit "floppy" as the leafs are separated they dont control axle rotation as well 

Also if its COF I dunno what the rules are or what wof cof rules are like over there but usually air helper springs need LVV cert 

I'd probably fix the springs if it was me 

• Like 2

Yeah pull get axle wrap bad.

those Dynas all run more or less zero travel from new. Super weird. 

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. Air assist will be about $2k (including freight and installation) but it's convenient as the truck will only be off the road for a day.

New custom made springs are probably a similar value, but high risk if they don't fit.

No one does CoF inspections on the Island so all we can get are WoFs. We have an exemption for passenger vehicles that would otherwise need CoFs..... but one day I may bring the truck back to the mainland as its actually a bloody good wagon.

I will have a think. Re-setting the original springs might be the best plan.... but that's weeks without a truck and probably ~$1k in freight 

Good thinking quattro.

I tried to get used springs a few months ago but couldn't find any.  The wreckers were quoting $250 per spring so it's not a significant saving and there's still the risk that what I bought and got re curved wouldn't fit once they arrive here on Chatham Island.

They would work mate. I could probably get those made pretty easily. 

Everything on this Dyna is about 30%bigger than Landcruiser. It's a ute sized vehicle with a truck chassis and suspension. Unsprung weights are huge. I can barely lift a wheel.... and there's six of the bastards.

Part of the hideous ride will be because truck.... but add passengers in the cab and it's noticeably worse 

I am lucky in that I carry a fixed weight in the rear. I estimate 350kg of tools (plus the alloy box body) sits on the rear chassis 

• Like 1

On 10/09/2020 at 11:03, Unclejake said:

Everything on this Dyna is about 30%bigger than Landcruiser. It's a ute sized vehicle with a truck chassis and suspension. Unsprung weights are huge. I can barely lift a wheel.... and there's six of the bastards.

heres some 2" cobra land cruiser 70 series lift springs next to my 95 2wd dyna, they look like they would fit but you would need to use the bottom two fat dyna leafs.

another hori way would be to mount some coil springs in between your diff and bumpstops ftw. cruiser shackle extenders would be simple to fit too. sorry for non airbag chat. also keen for an island mish one day

IMG_5806.jpg

IMG_5805.jpg

IMG_5804.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

• Thanks 1

@MaxPower, that was an incredibly generous thing for you to have done. Thank you.

There's heaps of landcruiser springs around here, but I glanced at a couple and decided they wouldn't fit. I will have a better look in the weekend. perhaps I was mistaken.

My 4x4 Dyna front springs are 1,160mm long, 72mm wide, with 2 x 9mm (at centre) parabolic leaves and an eye bolt i/d of 23mm

Rear springs are a bit of unknown

The bag controls in my truck allow you to take the piss with drawbar weight right up until the safety Override drains them and won’t pump them back up and you have to drag 200 tons of scoria home with the jockey wheel mount grinding along the road / get stuck on the dump weighbridge transition. 

but the temptation to make it in one trip is very strong 

• Haha 1

On 22/09/2020 at 21:58, sentra said:

The bag controls in my truck allow you to take the piss with drawbar weight right up until the safety Override drains them and won’t pump them back up and you have to drag 200 tons of scoria home with the jockey wheel mount grinding along the road / get stuck on the dump weighbridge transition. 

but the temptation to make it in one trip is very strong 

Ancient chinese proverb

"A real man always does it in one load"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1