Air bag suspension chat

KKtrips

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes, the slippery slope is looking dangerous. Probably a good time to work out some front discs to share cert costs. Upper ball joint rubber is knackered, so might as well replace that. Power steering is leaking as usual. Argh!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I'm tempted by the accuair valve block system, so it would make sense to use their controller too. Anyone used one?

Yep, got one in the current one and had one for 4 years in the last one. I think everyone I know running air systems has them. Small, quiet, slow, simple. Pulled the last one apart as it was getting slow, took an hour to clean and sort after 3 years of use.

I just run mine with switches but I know guys that use the e-level thing and rate it.

imagejpg1_zpsd498d0b6.jpg

Yeah, I had a look at the bolt-in kits, but I really prefer to roll my own. Some of the engineering doesn't look too hot, and the prices are high.

I visiting Mark Bouzaid at MB Minitrucks in J'ville last week. Had a good chat. Need to get some $$$ together and start ordering parts.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a factory rubber bushing for 4-bars? I thought of HQ Holden, but they have a kind of stepped design to suit the Holden arms. I want rubber, not urethane. Will have to go for a wrecking yard crawl I guess.

• 4 months later...

how do you size bags for your front and rear suspension ie is there a calculation ie bellow count x psi x area etc etc ie i looking for a set to lift a wagon rear end moderately quick and the front quick with a decent lump of engine ie v8 in it. or is speed all based on port size. also it has wish bone front and coil rear 

Excellent, I look forward to browsing this thread.
Well done chaps.

And cr, I think there are some spring rate calculations online and you pick a height and spring rate to suit what height you want your regular ride to be at.

Then if you're going up or down you'll have a firmer ride higher and softer ride lower.... well not really, go lower and you'll hit something and it'll become very firm again :P

If you have a retailer in mind, drop them a line and share their wisdom with us too :D

It all seems a bit random. There are specs available for the firestone bags so you can do calcs if you know the original spring rates, weights etc. I haven't seen any detailed specifications for the SS bags though. After a fair bit of google bashing (El Polacko on the HAMB is good), I've punted on SS7's for the front of the Merc. Takes ~70psi to get to ride height I think, so hope that works out OK.

Basically the biggest diameter bag that will work with your suspension. It's all pretty straight forward, get a bag that fits and put some air in it and see what's up. Rolling super slammed is always going to have lower pressure and not ride so well unless you can engineer shit around slam but then you probably won't get fuck all "up". The slam specialties bags cost a bit more but are the ones most people seem to swear by these days.

I'm not going any lower than the stock bump limits. Travel is actually restricted by the shock location and available stroke. At the end of the day, I doubt either setup will be worse than the stock suspension. It's not like yank tanks for old Toyota wagons are corner carvers :)

Do you know what you are going to do for the rear of yours nominal?  4 link?  Rangi up air over leaf che cuz?

I'm planning triangulated 4-link. Haven't started that end yet.

Got the same accuair controls - I agree sweet looking gear. I just have the rocker switch though (going cheap for now).