re-registering a vehicle

pies

Guest sexychevette
Note: Until the reregistration and relicensing process is complete, a vehicle can’t be driven on the road: it must be towed or transported by another means.

Thats pretty annoying, towing a vehicle thats perfectly capable of driving under its own power.

ive been pulled over on my nsr a couple of times without plates. am in the process of getn it ready for revinning. cops say that it was swt to ride if i was goin to a workshop.

also yeh. D plates ftw. but u are supossed to have a wof on the car, even if its in the system or something. or a pre delivery inspecion or something. iduno. Been in trouble for that at work a while back tho

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm, I went into a VTNZ just a matter of days ago. I purchased a junker I was parting out that I paid for about a month ago. I got a letter from LTSA last week "reminding" me to change the ownership (as the seller had filled out the seller/disposer card). Since I was parting it out away I went with the plates and $9.20

I filled out the deregister form first, which the lady at the desk entered.

I then went to hand her the change of ownership and $9.20 and she said "Why would you want to change the ownership? I have just deregistered it, keep your $9.20."

WTF?!?!? I was thinking?!?!?! I had just deregistered a car that was not even in my name......? Was it because he had filled out the disposers card first? :?

also something to add to the conversation, if you are "rebodying" another car. (using the plates off another one) etc etc... make sure you find out why it came off the road originally, a friend of mine got some plates off an old cortina and used them on his. the reason the old car came off the road was because it had major cancer in the A pillar. it passed the wof with flying colours. when the office people where processing the paper work it got queried on the previous structural rust.. where is the welders certificate of repair etc etc.. the car that got the new plates had never been rusty there in the first place. and car was a different colour to tags etc etc... so morral of the story is find out why your donor car came off the road originally.. as you may have issues come warrant time...

also heard that they are looking at stopping the re-vinning on old cars??

chur

Karl

• 2 months later...

yea boyz just went through this finding if I can put the van back on the road & this is how.

I rang ltsa the plate on the van was dead not even in use the woman said she could tell me nothing :doubt: she said I will have to prove it had been rego'd on nz roads before it will have to pass an engineers report because of its age{no issues no the chch guy that does it :wink: } & have low volume cert for any mods etc {no shit} to be able to re-reg it :shock:

Josh {MRMK1} told me all he knew but I got nowhere so rang ltsa back again this time I got a real helpful lady that knew what she was doing. She ran the plate again same result not in use to old for the system BUT she ran a check on the plate previous vehicles it has been on & bingo 1968 Mazda F1000 bongo last reg 1991 :badgrin:

She could not tell me vin numbers etc but she said to go to the post office fill out an MR32 form send a cheque for $11 with it & you will get all the info they have vin dates of reg owners last registered owner. :D

As for not being able to re-reg old cars she had heard nothing about it. I asked because I was told the same thing last week

":lrnj38t0]also heard that they are looking at stopping the re-vinning on old cars??

Real? That ain't cool

Thats gota be BS

My local Lady at the VTNZ is pretty handy when it comes to getting car info etc.

I don't need to know my donor history anyhow im swapping plates lols

• 3 months later...

I'm grabbing my 78 Premier from Palmy this week. Hasnt been touched in 8 years. Rego is expired/dead. Is 8 years too long for it to not still be in the system? Really don't wanna go through the hassle of digging up proof, as the previous owner is in OZ.

If I need proof of change of ownership is a printed email good enough? Will probably have an issue getting acopy of his licence.

Probably more questions to come on Monday when I am back home with it.

• Thanks 1

I'm grabbing my 78 Premier from Palmy this week. Hasnt been touched in 8 years. Rego is expired/dead. Is 8 years too long for it to not still be in the system? Really don't wanna go through the hassle of digging up proof, as the previous owner is in OZ.

If I need proof of change of ownership is a printed email good enough? Will probably have an issue getting acopy of his licence.

Probably more questions to come on Monday when I am back home with it.

ANY IDEA WHAT THE PLATES WERE, CHUCK THEM THROUGH CARJAM.CO.NZ TO SEE IF THEY COME UP

WOOPS CAPS

Nah no idea about plates yet, I will put it through there as soon as I find out. If it comes up on there, safe enough to say its still in the system and then what? Just need proof of ownership and to go through the checking process?

I am hoping like fark that he didnt dereg it, cos I'll have no show of finding the papers.

If its still in the system, do I get to keep the black plates?

I'm probably gunna have the same issue with the landrover thats there too! But thats a headache for another weekend!

• 3 weeks later...
":3vyxh6wr]also heard that they are looking at stopping the re-vinning on old cars??

Real? That ain't cool

Thats gota be BS

My local Lady at the VTNZ is pretty handy when it comes to getting car info etc.

I don't need to know my donor history anyhow im swapping plates lols

If you have the plates, cant you put them into that carjam website and actually buy the report? That shows why it failed

a wof, last inspection etc etc doesnt it?

As for keeping the black plates, if the rego is on hold then yep, you get to just simply put on a rego payment and keep the

plates, if its been 'de-regd' then no, a new vin number is assigned to the vehicle and you get issued with new plates.

You could spend the money and buy the personalised plate of your old plate, and just run the black plates though.

If you have the plates, cant you put them into that carjam website and actually buy the report? That shows why it failed a wof, last inspection etc etc doesnt it?

No it just shows whether the inspection was passed or failed.

Ive just gone thru a similar scenario and i rang the local VTNZ, lady was reluctant to give out the info, but did manage to extract a little out of her. from what she told me it just tells where the fault is ie steering/suspension not actual fault ie worn tie rod end/ball joint/cut springs

As for keeping the black plates, if the rego is on hold then yep, you get to just simply put on a rego payment and keep the

plates, if its been 'de-regd' then no, a new vin number is assigned to the vehicle and you get issued with new plates.

You could spend the money and buy the personalised plate of your old plate, and just run the black plates though.

Ok so found the old plates, and checked them out on carjam, apparently it was on an exemption licence but this lapsed in 2005. Is that too long ago to be brought back up to date with reg? Would love to not have to bother with re-vin, and just back pay the rego.

As for getting a personalised plate of the old one, I thought you couldnt do that cos the old plates are deemed to be used?

Ok so found the old plates, and checked them out on carjam, apparently it was on an exemption licence but this lapsed in 2005. Is that too long ago to be brought back up to date with reg? Would love to not have to bother with re-vin, and just back pay the rego.

As for getting a personalised plate of the old one, I thought you couldnt do that cos the old plates are deemed to be used?

Yeah that's dereg so you will need a new vin.

Check your plate on http://www.plates.co.nz and see if you can get them.

Yeah says its gone. Gutted. Trying to track down where the other Premier is that still has rego on hold. Its up North somewhere. The saga continues

To add to my 'barn find' a complete series 3 swb land rover, completely taken apart, every part rust proofed, waiting to be reassembled - mean.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...