re-registering a vehicle

pies

I have had home made plates on my car for 3 or more years now

only prob I've had is Durty got pulled over in it mid last year and the cop gave him shit about them, but they don't attract attention with me in the car.. Durty was most probably speeding and flipping the bird to the cop - LOL (JK Durts... :lol: )

morrie.png

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the sellers problem.

so they just get sent a bill for the 2 months or whatever from ltsa/nzta, and I could continue to reg it from the date of purchase

Yeap.

Once you change the ownership into your name it starts fresh, and all back rego becomes the old owners problem.

• 3 weeks later...

in need of a quick answer...

i dont have much time at the moment to read all this...

ive been offered a sweet little project but its deregd..

its a 72 datto..

what do i need to do to get it on the rd and what will it cost?

oh and do you get a cert before or after?

cheers

• 1 month later...
in need of a quick answer...

i dont have much time at the moment to read all this...

ive been offered a sweet little project but its deregd..

its a 72 datto..

what do i need to do to get it on the rd and what will it cost?

oh and do you get a cert before or after?

cheers

Take it through for the Re-Vin process first, they will assign your vehicle with a Vin number, Pass or Fail.

They will then proceed to fail your car on needing Modifications Certified.

Then you can take the car for a cert. Your cert plate needs to have a Vin number aligned with it, not neccessarily a Rego number.

Once you have the cert plate you can finish the Re-Vin Inspection process & apply for registration.

when you re-register/re-vin a 40 year car does it stay applicable for the cheap licence/rego fee of $80 or do the wankers class it as a 'new vehicle' and lump ya with the full amount?

My cars been re-registered (maybe re-vinned too I'll need to check) and I still get the cheap rego

• 1 month later...

my cousin just got a 1986 AW11 MR2. the rego has lapsed, so he phoned VTNZ to inquire about getting it re-vinned. they told him it would need to go through compliance just like an import, and that it will cost $400.

am i correct in saying this sounds like BS?

i dont have much experience with all this stuff, so am after any info that will help

cheers

dylan

my cousin just got a 1986 AW11 MR2. the rego has lapsed, so he phoned VTNZ to inquire about getting it re-vinned. they told him it would need to go through compliance just like an import, and that it will cost $400.

am i correct in saying this sounds like BS?

i dont have much experience with all this stuff, so am after any info that will help

cheers

dylan

its true

• 1 month later...

yep- The national govt are planning a big attack on old cars- getting them off the road. Apparantly the ave age of nz cars is too old making us look like a poor country :rolleyes:

So any excuse to try and fail old cars and keep em off the road will be used. Hence a perfectly good mr2 now needing compliancing.

yep- The national govt are planning a big attack on old cars- getting them off the road. Apparantly the ave age of nz cars is too old making us look like a poor country :rolleyes:

So any excuse to try and fail old cars and keep em off the road will be used. Hence a perfectly good mr2 now needing compliancing.

Dumbest thing i've ever read on this forum, good job.

If you remove your clear political bias which is not actually required on a car forum you might realise that the re vin process is more about stopping stolen or poorly repaired insurance write offs getting back on the road, and at the same time protecting the consumer who may purchase car down the line.

If National had it in for old cars, why can we import anything we like as long as its 20 years old or older? And why all the (Labour) laws restricting modern diesels and performance cars from Japan?

but the mr2 was already a kiwi car so it should just be a case of re- vinning it. Not compliancing it. Anyway..i wouldn't care if it was national or labour but whats in the pipeline is that the current govt want to get old cars off the road and raise the average age of nz cars. What i've heard is they are seriously thinking of bringing in the scrappage scheme ala the uk. Which was a big mistake.

But this should be in another thread eh. And its not just about politics (he says with ronald key in his sig..) but old cars. Which is sort of what this forum is about...

When I called VINZ regarding re-registering one of my cars, they told me that because it's previously been registered on NZ roads, the check is actually a lot more lenient than if it was a fresh import. Interior panels don't come off and it's basically just a "hard warrent" (their words). Can't recall exactly how much it was for the check, but I also called VTNZ and remember that they were at least $100 more expensive than VINZ.

The car was built 1981 and came into the country in 1989, unsure if that makes a difference or not.

Last few I did were $150+ rego costs, mine were 40+ years old so cheap enough.

Same cost and same job as when I last was doing fresh imports, much more relaxed test though. They aren't going to ask for 3d chassis measurement etc after a body repair unless its highy dodgy looking.

When I called VINZ regarding re-registering one of my cars, they told me that because it's previously been registered on NZ roads, the check is actually a lot more lenient than if it was a fresh import. Interior panels don't come off and it's basically just a "hard warrent" (their words). Can't recall exactly how much it was for the check, but I also called VTNZ and remember that they were at least $100 more expensive than VINZ.

The car was built 1981 and came into the country in 1989, unsure if that makes a difference or not.

it does