re-registering a vehicle

pies

The VCC certificate of authentication is AFAIK supposed to authenticate the 'safety features' of the era of a certain vehicle in order for cars AND motorcycles to be exempt from new car modern safety features; lighting+restraints etc. Why was VCC only given the authority by LTA to do this for motorcycles? Pffft, who knows, doesn't even make sense, what would a car onlyclub really know about bikes...?)

ie I will need one for my 1949 Royal Enfield as it does not have any indicators or brake light switches. Then again nor did any other motorcycle of that era.

The cert from VCC is only supposed to verify the age and certify that a vehicle of that age did not have certain safety features and the cert then exempts that vehicle from having indicators/brake lights (lights full stop if its 1900s!)

If someone got a bike rereged based on that certificate, then that was very lucky of them as it is not proof it was on the road at all.

i didnt even know they did motorbikes? are there certain registered VCC's that they use or can it be from any "classic" vehicle club? my old man is on the committee for post-classic motorcycle racing and vintage motocross, was wondering if his two cents would mean anything to them. 

these posts do not give me any confidence in re-registering my bike, considering i have NO proof of it being on the road in NZ  before.

Nick, what bike is this? There may be another way.

For instance, Honda NZ (started in NZ as Bluewing Honda which still exists today.) They still have a lot of info for their bikes post 1972ish. Prior to that, Hondas were imported by authorised dealers who had licenses to sell Honda. This was the same for almost all Japanese marques when imports took off. Generally the big manufacturers sold licenses to independent dealers prior to establishing themselves in NZ.

Call whoever makes the bike and ask. They may not have specific details of a certain bike they may provide SOME evidence. EG When I was looking for Honda CB100 info a kind fellow at Honda was able to tell me from what CB100 frame number range/year Bluewing Honda started selling themselves in NZ. Therefore if the bike frame no fits in this range, it goes someway to show;

A ) Both that the particular bike was able to be registered on road in NZ (as some had obviously been sold by Honda themselves) and

B ) The frame number is within a range that Bluewing Honda sold, arguing that Bluewing Honda probably sold the damn thing!

Get my drift? Just have to be patient, think outside the box, make some phone calls and sweet talk some beards who care about the old stuff.

Another way is that if the bike had say a dealer sticker on it. I have owned a few old motorcycles with the dealer sticker stuck on the side tanks etc like this;

20140905_122507.jpg

If you look close there is a sticker under 125 that says "Tim Gibbs". Those from Palmy may know that Tim Gibbs was a Yamaha agent in Palmerston North. Photos of that sticker, and its patina which clearly matches the bike goes a good way to show the bike was once on the road in NZ despite Tim Gibbs Motorcycles being long gone.

This bike is still regd but its an example of thinking outside the box.

I can say that Yamaha are no good (tried this as per my earlier post.) Yamaha still do not exist as a company in NZ and the NZ network is run by OZ. Yamaha themselves did not sell any bikes in the 70s-80s they were all through licensed dealers. 

• Like 2

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes that makes sense, i would say most of the dealers who sold these kinds of bikes are long gone. both of mine (zuki ax100 and honda cg110) need re-vinning, more so the ax100 as its pretty much ready to go. 

all frame and engine numbers are there, but as far as i can see no specific VIN (maybe they use frame number?). hopefully suzuki nz can help with the year, is it worth going to VTNZ beforehand and seeing if it the numbers come up in the system? was a stolen/recovered then sold on by big al motorcycle wreckers but came with no plates.
also: does bike need to be in ORIGINAL condition upon re-registration? have put new bars and bigger tyres on mine and re-mounted indicators etc.

Can one get a Vin before actually going for compliance.

eg. I Have a bike i want to restore. Can i take it in and get it a vin/in the system. Then restore. Then take to get complied and a plate put on it?

Anyone done this?

• Like 1

A 'VIN' is a long foil tag that VTNZ put on when registering a vehicle starting after 1994 (after they deleted all the records) looks like this ;

60100049_1631.jpg

Bottom line is if you have a VIN then there will be a record in LTA.

Frame number/chassis number is the one stamped into the frame/body by the Manufacturer. They are still searchable, however be aware that if the bike was registered when they started issuing VIN plates, sometimes they just ignored the OEM frame number.

If bike was stolen/recovered it more than likely had a plate and LTA will just have to search with what you do have.

If you have changed bars/lights it wont be an issue unless the person doing the reregistering has specific knowledge of that model or is is a mod that requires certification. Be aware though that any changes to lights require "E" marking on the lense to show they meet the required lighting standard in NZ.

Can one get a Vin before actually going for compliance.

eg. I Have a bike i want to restore. Can i take it in and get it a vin/in the system. Then restore. Then take to get complied and a plate put on it?

Anyone done this?

AFAIK that is the purpose of compliance, is attaching a VIN.

So no VIN without compliance check.

Therefore if reregistering an old bike no compliance check or VIN without compliance guy happy/proof been on road in NZ.

If compliance guy not happy, then you have to go alternative documents way - make LTA happy, if they sign off they will give you a unique number then you can go for compliance.

Sucks that it is down to some womble's opinion/mood at the time you go for compliance.

Should be a clean cut process to follow instead of all this ambiguity.

Re the VCC authentication, I was looking at buying a bike and it didn't have plates or any documentation. Phoned up VINZ, and LTSA etc. Couldnt find frame number in system etc. Said it couldn't be registered.

I told the guy i wasn't keen. He said he's get a VCC authentication thing and then it can be registered. "Had done it before" etc etc. I thought "oh yup mate, Sure".

1 months later. Bike back on trademe. Fresh complicance, vin and new number plate... So i'm not sure how that worked... (He had to give it a full brake rebuilt for vin, so wasnt mate/dodgy spec)

You should be able to get a VIN attached to a vehicle prior to a compliance inspection, unsure about the paperwork required but in the case of a modified vehicle you need a VIN for the LVV Cert to be carried out. Ive seen heaps of vehicle in for LVVC prior to their compliance / reregistration inspection.

• Like 1

A VIN is literally just a unique number that identifies that particular vehicle for LTA. Because LTA designed the VIN protocol in that all VIN numbers follow a sequence it avoids mistakes of the past as I have outlined.( chassis numbers were often entered incorrectly as each vehicle manufacturer and each models chassis is unique.)

The reason they VIN first for cert or compliance is they need a means to identify and record details for that specific vehicle. Otherwise there is no way for LTA to record that vehicle on their system. You can't roll in, get a VIN without following the rest of the process.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi guys ive got a question I hope someone could shed some light on. ive got a mate who has a 1936 ford coupe, its a barn find car he has had for moons and now wants to put it back on the road but has no plates, tags etc. Any ideas on what he has to do to get it re regod?

Any help would be great!!

Cheers rusty

• Like 2

Contact the local VTNZ, they will likely tell you what is involved which wil most likely start with the classic car club, as they will be able to verify that that model could have been on the road, and that will give you a way to actually make it happen.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone applied for an exemption through NZTA when no plates or previous history of registration in NZ are available for the vehicle?

Got my change of ownership letter of interest for the police but still can find out what my celicas old plates were..

Got told that if i cant find and history on my car then i can apply for an exemption at $184 p/h to process with no guarantees that it will be approved or how many hours it might take..

Cheers in advance

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

have they tightened up the ruls regarding re vin

long story short mate who is tow truck driver took a hq wagon in for re vin ( reg lapsed ) they wanted a body cert vtnz porirua( its bog standard) the repair cert guy then started putting inspection cameras up the pillars etc and said take out the rust on inside of the a pillar tow truck guy who also owns a hj ute said to me it looks real straight visually original paint etc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Cortina GT which was on a PP and when I purchased it years ago the seller kept the PP,s and just put a standard plate on it. Question is I still have the 2 old black plates that were originally on it. Can I get rid of the current plates and put the original black plates back on?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

so, classic car with lapsed rego as of 2015..

have the black plates and records, but last plate was a 3letter new plate.

carjam says the OG black plate isnt assigned to anything

PPlates say it's taken

come re-compliance testing.. it looks as though I'm up a creek for getting the black plates back on.

or am I??