re-registering a vehicle

pies

im to lazy to view all the pages but im looking at buying a old caravan to do up and was trying to find info and prices to re-reg it can anyone help

also looking at some bikes same deal

i registered a trailer once, it did not fully exist i just went to VTNZ and told them i wanted to register my trailer and they handed me the plates & a sheet of paper and finished the trailer & hung the plates on it then took it for a WOF.  No trouble.

ive just looked into getting a deregd XF fairmont re-regoed.a mate of my uncle who has known me all my life came to see it as his work does re-reging.it has quite a bit of structural rust around the front door hinges.apparently to pass a repair cert theyve got fussy as (expletive),put cameras down inside the areas,the whole nine yards with bare metal once rust has been cut,then new metal welded in yadda yadda.so to cut a long story short i got told its a waste of time trying to put it back on the rd :( just thought id share the info

If the repairs are so good they cannot see them you may not need a cert'.  That sounds over the top with the cameras though, i had a car revinned 6 months ago and they suggested it would be nice if it had a cert' but it was not really structural so they passed it.  Not sure how that works out in your case though.  Or like that other guy said, historic repairs.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So then... I have a modern car I need to recomply. It went through a year ago but the guy didn't finish the work it needed within 28 days and it got forgotten about. It had been in an accident and repaired after it was deregistered. Do I need to get a repair cert? He said that he got one when they complied it the first time but they need to do it each time. Does that sound right?

Can I take it to another compliance center and they not notice the repairs? Or is it logged in the system?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone re registered a vehicle and kept the old black plates? I'm after experiences so I know what I'm in for etc. Cheers.

Yep The guy I bought my PB off last week got it re-vinned and reg'd with the original plates. Just sent a letter off to LTSA with proof of ownership and photos of plates on car (to prove they in good nick) then VTNZ 

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/71/registration-plates.html

Re-issuing black and silver ordinary plates

In certain circumstances the NZTA will allow the re-issue of a vehicle's older style black and silver plates. The following conditions apply.

• The number on the plates must be still available. Sometimes people use a number from the old black plates and put it on a personalised plate – in such cases the old plates cannot be re-used as the number has been 'taken'.
  • The plates must be in good condition.
  • The plates must be the last plates that were issued to the vehicle when the registration was cancelled and the owner may be required to show evidence of this. The best evidence is the certificate of registration or other paperwork (insurance policy, repair receipts showing the registration number, etc).

This rule only applies to those who are re-registering their vehicle. For example, if a vehicle is currently registered with plates but previously had black and silver plates, these cannot be re-issued. Any person who is re-registering their vehicle and wishes to have their black and silver plates re-issued can write to the NZTA at:

Transport Registry Centre

Attention: Team Leader Business Administration

Private Bag 11777

Palmerston North 4442

If approved, the NZTA will send a letter which includes a reference number that must be provided to the agent processing your registration application when re-registering the vehicle. This number confirms that the plates may remain affixed to the vehicle and that new plates are not required.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Could someone clarify for me some of the standards that have to be met for passing the inspection? Do seatbelts, extra lights (brake light) etc need to be installed on older cars like 1960s-70s era? I'm looking at buying a de-reg car around that age and want to know what I could be getting myself into

Could someone clarify for me some of the standards that have to be met for passing the inspection? Do seatbelts, extra lights (brake light) etc need to be installed on older cars like 1960s-70s era? I'm looking at buying a de-reg car around that age and want to know what I could be getting myself into

My 63 vauxhall only had front seatbelts fitted, no extra brakelight....its pretty much stock standard

Exceptions for older vehicles

If your vehicle was manufactured before 1990 it may be excluded from many of the standards requirements. However, your vehicle must still meet the general safety requirements in the Land Transport Rules, and it must have at least front seat passenger safety belts if manufactured after 1955.

An 'historic vehicle' must meet the safety requirements applying at the time it was manufactured. Visit theVintage Car Club of New Zealand's website to find out more.

Exceptions for left-hand drives and temporary imports

As we drive on the left side of the road in New Zealand, vehicles have to be right-hand drive.

In most cases, if you bring a left-hand drive vehicle here, you'll need to have it converted. You may be able to get an exemption for a light vehicle that is for your own use. See the requirements.

But you may not need to meet these standards if you're temporarily importing your vehicle, usually for less than 12 months.

Exceptions for vehicles not meeting all required standards

Where your vehicle meets some but not all the standards, you may be able to apply for an exemption. Please be aware, there is no guarantee this will be granted. We judge exemption applications on a case-by-case basis against restrictive criteria set in legislation (section 166 of the Land Transport Act 1998).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would report in, I just got off the phone with someone at the NZTA and she was very helpful in regards to reregistering a car on black plates.

Basically ring these guys

http://nz.vicdir.com/sn17048-0-transport-registry-centre-ltsa.htm

They will give you a reference number, that starts the whole process. They want a photo of each of the plates to make sure they are in good nick, and any documents that show that they are the plates off the car.

Other than that you are good to go, just take the car to the VTNZ station and quote the reference number and you get to keep your black plates.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to re-register a car that was obviously registered in NZ but there is no legit evidence of this? I have bought a car that has the OG nz wof sticker in the centre of the screen etc, car has no plates and I can't find any clues on what the original rego number was, likely lapsed 10-20years ago - It was sitting in a farmers shed for years. Any idea how this is going to effect my re-reg? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know this has been covered in here but with a few varying answers. So what is the best way to prove ownership of a dereged car .  

Some form of receipt from the former owner to your self. proving the transaction happened. This is what I had to do for my skyline. The guy I bought it off had also bough it de-reg from another fulla. so I had to track down this other fulla. and he was sweet to wright out a little blurb and sign it saying  he sold it to the previous owner then the previous owner signed a blurb saying he had sold it to me and. it was now mine used to be his etc etc. 

I aint no lawyer but something along those lines should be sweet it was all the revin place wanted from me anyway. But man it was a pain in the ass as it had no plates only a vin number but ltsa wouldn't tell me what the plate was from the vin so I ended up trying vtnz and after explaining what i was trying to do the lady said we are not suppost to tell you then slid me a piece of paper and said next customer (she wrote it down haha). then i took the plate number to the post shop and paid for that report thing what ever it was showing the last owner of the car got his name and number etc.