re-registering a vehicle

pies

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had my fiat 128 revinned on Wednesday. It had no papers and I kept the black plates.

If you have no papers you need to pick up a statutory declaration form from VTNZ or here

http://www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/trans-tasman-occupations-tribunal/documents/TTO%200609%202.pdf

you take it to the citizens advice and get a JP to witness you signing it- I took a copy of the trademe add and a note from the seller stating there were no papers and the chassis number and old plate number. Cost Free

to keep the black plates Email      Tania.Taite@nzta.govt.nz

she is the one that handles the black plate issues. You need to supply a pic of both the plates to show they are in good condition. She searches the data base to make sure the plates are on it  and sends you a email with a reference number and a phone number that you hand over at the testing station. 

The Black plate issue seems to be a well hidden secret because the testing station had never had anyone or heard of anyone keeping their plates.

But once they called Tania instant approval - and remember that keeping ya black plates knocks $19.95 off the revinning price

I hope this helps some one

P.S> stay away from Sylvia park VTNZ for revinning I have a 1 inch dent in my front valance and had to get a cert for it. The Cert inspector called the VTNZ guy a total F#%kwit . 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

So I bought a car that the rego has lapsed on, it's still got the plates on it, the thing that I found strange is that we were still able to do a change of ownership online using the original plate number.

What does this mean? Anything?

• 6 months later...

How hard core is vtnz about reading engine numbers when you re-reg? The engine in my 121 isn't original and is 200cc bigger than standard (only 6 more hp) but visually they are identical.. they are also a factory upgrade in the next year..  I'm a bit paranoid they're gonna make me get a cert.

they will definitely read the engine number.

or at least they are supposed to to attach a VIN to the car.

as far as cert goes you should get away with it but you will probably have to jump through some hoops to get there. as in the vtnz guys wont process it with a different engine number to the one thats on record for that car. 

Then again sometimes they are complete fuckwits and just don't know what they are doing.

Dad was trying to register his 66 fastback done up as a Shelby clone. They tried to make him get a cert for having a "Shelby engine" in it...

It was a matching numbers car with Shelby rocker covers and air cleaner.....

How hard core is vtnz about reading engine numbers when you re-reg? The engine in my 121 isn't original and is 200cc bigger than standard (only 6 more hp) but visually they are identical.. they are also a factory upgrade in the next year..  I'm a bit paranoid they're gonna make me get a cert.

Grind a leg off the M into an N

• Like 1

Yeah, I reg'd my 929 with a diff engine and they said nothing, few years back tho.. fingers crossed.. also do I need a letter from the police as well as the previous  owner, or will a letter of receipt as well as previous wof/reg docs be enough?