KK-Kolonels 1974 Austin 1300

CaMpylobacter

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bro has one of these and I'm trying to convince him he needs to lower it. How do you do it with hydrolastic?

I do it by letting the pressure out of the valve - there are 2 - one on each side of the car on the firewall. (like a tyre valve)

Don't let all the pressure out - the car does sink pretty quickly for a relatively small amount of liquid coming out. Generally 50mm is enough to start with (use a tape measure and measure the height from the centre of the front wheel to the top of the wheelarch - this will help you let it down evenly.

Caution - The ride does get rougher when you lower it and it places a strain on the CV's. Also with the stock 12" wheels on it, when you lower it, it will look odd. I have 13's on mine.

NOTE - If you let it down too low (yes you can very easily go TOO low and the car will be undriveable) you will need to pump it back up and you need a special tool for that or go to someone to pump it up for you and that could cost $50ish.

PS - if you fuck it up - its not my problem so don't come back and blame me. :D

Yeah you can make your own one - I made one myself and it works a treat. Only thing is it takes 30-45 minutes a side to pump up from flat but only 5 minutes per side to make small adjustments of 20-30mm.

PS - Concentrated antifreeze works fine as hydrolastic fluid.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

dude

that sucks!

but yeah, not much point i guess in flogging an old goat

So yeah, start the look out for a shell, pull the motor and running gear and shweet left hand drive stuff into storage.

Atleast you will have sweet as plates and tags also incase you find a good dereg one :)