For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had to cut a section out of the stock crossmember to clear the front of the engine I'm swapping in. The crossmember no longer is used to support the engine.

I was going to box this up with 3mm plate is that legit? yep thats probably fine

The original steel is around 1.5mm thick. Stitch weld or continuous?continuous

Also what dimensions should I make the trans mount plates I weld to the floor? Stitch weld sweet? if you are going to bolt the x member straight to the floor, id make it 100mm wide, and along the flat part of the floor and up the side of the tunnel, on the top side of the floor, then stitch weld it in. needs to be solid enough that the floor doesnt flex -and end up cracking

Thanks cletus; legend.

Sweet az, Im currently running S13 coilovers and s14 hubs/brakes on the factory crossmember & lca's with no problems, just thought it might be easier to bolt in the crossmember my new motor came with but if I have to drill & weld crush tubes in the chassis it will probably be easier just to change the mounts. Thanks

What dimensions should I make trans mount plates I weld to the floor?

if you are going to bolt the x member straight to the floor, id make it 100mm wide, and along the flat part of the floor and up the side of the tunnel, on the top side of the floor, then stitch weld it in

So would 100mm x 100mm x 5mm be reasonable sized plate to spread the load?

What's the story with noisy exhaust tests? i know the ratings but at what RPM is that taken at? does any know how the test is conducted? (preferably motorbike)

I found a good explanation for the aussie one but not the nz.

Here you are:

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/stand ... ssions.pdf

Motorcycle engines at 2.6(2); Page 10.

My wifes car has been certified for a motor swap but the registration has not been change . Is this legalize where do we stand with insurance?

there should be a form available at your local testing station/post office, MR16. fill it out and send away to get details updated

What dimensions should I make trans mount plates I weld to the floor?

if you are going to bolt the x member straight to the floor, id make it 100mm wide, and along the flat part of the floor and up the side of the tunnel, on the top side of the floor, then stitch weld it in

So would 100mm x 100mm x 5mm be reasonable sized plate to spread the load?

depends. if its in the middle of a flat bit of floor, possibly not. if the plate overlaps a crossmember or goes up the side of the tunnel, then it might be fine. hard to tell without seeing it

My cousin has almost completed an engine swap in his VK commodore.

He has put a 5L (originally a 202) in using factory parts. It has a 2 piece driveshaft and he had to cut a hole in the bonnet.

I read somewhere that 2 piece driveshafts need 2 driveshaft hoops - Is this correct?

Are there rules around holes in bonnets?

I want to run a rear swaybar on my KE70, they don't have them factory but the holes in the chassis rail are there...I assume the AE86 has a captive nut on the inside of the rail to bolt to. Can I drill through the rail, use a crush tube and bolt right through the chassis rail, or would I be better off to make a plate with captive nuts to sit inside the chassis rail?

I want to run a rear swaybar on my KE70, they don't have them factory but the holes in the chassis rail are there...I assume the AE86 has a captive nut on the inside of the rail to bolt to. Can I drill through the rail, use a crush tube and bolt right through the chassis rail, or would I be better off to make a plate with captive nuts to sit inside the chassis rail?

either way would be fine.

My cousin has almost completed an engine swap in his VK commodore.

He has put a 5L (originally a 202) in using factory parts. It has a 2 piece driveshaft and he had to cut a hole in the bonnet.

I read somewhere that 2 piece driveshafts need 2 driveshaft hoops - Is this correct?

Are there rules around holes in bonnets?

yep 2 loops for 2 piece shafts.

holes in bonnet- there are restrictions on how far a scoop etc can stick out the bonnet, also it cant have any sharp edges that could harm pedestrians that are too busy on thier i-thing to notice a car.

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards ... ctions.pdf

wanting to create a new exhaust & tip but i've heard rumors that your exhaust isn't allowed to extend further than your bumper? True? if not how far is it allowed to protrude past? (currently pink stickered so i'l have to go through vtnz with it)

cheers,

oh also just curious about height restrictions as well if it IS allowed? ta.