For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

all up to wof issuers discretion apart from bumpstops, if they are modified it needs a cert. however lots of cars still get wofs with mod b/stops because the wof issuer doesnt notice/care they have been modified.

as far as travel goes i think the wording in the wof book is "must have adequate travel from unmodified bumpstops when laden"

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding WOF's, is there a minimum suspension travel rule? Or a minimum gap between arm and bump stop measurment? Also, are you able to modify bump stops? Or is it all at the discretion of the WOF man?

Cheers!

ah you have been looking at/working on the lada.

you are definitely going to have to cut those to get where you want to go. 124 sits about 10-15mm from the bumpstops as it is. the factory bumpstops are huge though (presuming the lada ones are similar), so there is quite a bit of scope.

^ Indeed I have, the front end of these things do not lend themselves to lowering do they. Hence my next question for Mr cletus.

I need to remove some steel from my front top suspension arms, and then weld in a new strip to box them up, like this:

DSCF3681.jpg

6a3bcf3b9d27.jpg

(^ except I would do them waaaaaaaay better/prettier/stronger)

Am I able to get a cert after doing such things? What process would I have to go through? Have a ticketed welder weld them and then have them crack tested and so on??

Thank you very muchly kind sir.

Regards, VG.

How legit is it for me to slot the mounting hole on the rear upper arm in my mx5 to dial out some of the negative camber?

I noticed it was mentioned earlier about slotted mounting holes to dial out camber, but I was unsure whether this suggestion was srs.

if you do it properly, i cant see why it couldnt be certified- have seen racecars with lower arm mounts slotted, then a heavy washer welded to the x-member when alignment correct so it cant move

Could you clarify for me what the deal is with people cutting such holes?

usually ok if its for a reason ie an intercooler pipe, if its not bigger than it needs to be, if it goes thru a part that doesnt contribute a lot of strength, (ie that part of the inner guard, theres often holes for washer bottles, factory ic pipes on nissans, etc) also it has to be done in a 'tradesmanlike manner', it amazes me how many of these i see that look like they were done with an angry dog or a hammer and chisel

Am I able to get a cert after doing such things? What process would I have to go through? Have a ticketed welder weld them and then have them crack tested and so on??

Regards, VG.

you are most certainly able to do that, hobby car manual states any modifications to a production front suspension must be tig welded and crack tested. how much are you chopping out?

usually ok if its for a reason ie an intercooler pipe, if its not bigger than it needs to be, if it goes thru a part that doesnt contribute a lot of strength, (ie that part of the inner guard, theres often holes for washer bottles, factory ic pipes on nissans, etc) also it has to be done in a 'tradesmanlike manner', it amazes me how many of these i see that look like they were done with an angry dog or a hammer and chisel

Has to be a certain distance from chassis rails to doesn't it?

Had a cunt of a WOF inspector years ago saying mine were cut too close to the chassis and tried to make me have the section of inner guard along with that section of chassis cut out for a panel beater to inspect then weld back in :lol::lol:

OK, good to know. Thanks a lot man, I appreciate the effort you go to here. I'll buy you a few drinks when next we meet.

Regards, VG.

you are most certainly able to do that, hobby car manual states any modifications to a production front suspension must be tig welded and crack tested. how much are you chopping out?

Its only about 15mm of flat steel I think, and its not boxed to start with, so the arm should be waaaay stronger after its done. So I would need like a crack testing report to take to the cert man ayy? Whats a cert go for these days?

Cheers heaps sir!

Has to be a certain distance from chassis rails to doesn't it?

Had a cunt of a WOF inspector years ago saying mine were cut too close to the chassis and tried to make me have the section of inner guard along with that section of chassis cut out for a panel beater to inspect then weld back in :lol::lol:

not that im aware of, should always be certified though as its considered structural in a monocoque vehicle- in some nissans its common for the driver side pipe to go thru the inner guard right above the chassis rail flange and ive never had a problem with them going thru cert

Whats a cert go for these days?

Cheers heaps sir!

depends on the certifier and thier location/travel time- stuff like that

but up here in high-roller auckland, we charge 460 incl gst retail as a basic cert, depending on the mods it goes up from that

CBF trawling through lots of search results, so...

I have bought another Viva 2 door which I received on the weekend and the front seats have a pivot arrangement at the front and just lift up to gain access to the rear (like a Mini IIRC). There is no clamp/restraint on the back so they just sit there on some plates.

The seat has a release lever on the side and a clasp thing underneath, but there is nowhere for it to clasp onto (some had a small bar under the seat). No holes in the carpet, no holes in the floorpan, nothing that gives any hint it should hold on or that there was ever a bar there. Seems odd, seats are original (or original type with front pivot).

WOF book suggest provided the original mountings are no broken it should be okay for WOF, but seems a bit too dodgy for me (car has had WOF in this state before).

Opinions/Experiences??

I can install a small bar using 8-10mm rod under the seat so it has something to clasp onto and be 1,000x more robust, but then that would consitute a modification? Would anyone even notice?